New member from Washington

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mike-fire32
United States of America

New member from Washington

Post by Mike-fire32 »

Greetings from the balmy Northwest, one of the only parts of the country not below freezing today.

I have a 1965 F-100 LWB that I am just beginning to work on. I took over the truck from my brother, who needed it vacated from his property before his daughter's wedding two years ago. He parked it about 10 years prior to that, so it has not been on the road since. I was looking for a smaller project, having just completed the restoration of a 1964 Ford C-1000 fire truck that my father designed in the mid sixties when he was a fire chief.

They (whoever they are) say to start small on your first restoration project. I didn't listen to them, I started on a big truck with a fully compartmented body, a pump, a water tank, plumbing and a very complex electrical system. Fortunately I have been in the fire apparatus and equipment business for many years, so it was much easier for me to pull off a project like this than it would be for an outsider. Having completed that, I felt tearing apart a pickup would be easy. I may have spoken too soon.

The F-100 is a bit unique in that it is equipped with the "Ranger" interior package, however the body code is E-81, which according to some is the wrong code for a true Ranger. The truck was ordered from the factory with the bucket seats, center console, gas tank cover and carpeting; everything that made up the Ranger package. I guess I will just have to believe what I want.....

What started out as a brake job, led to pulling the front suspension for a rebuild. After that I began pulling other parts off, and now I have the front clip off and headed for a frame off restoration. There's no turning back now.

My goal is to have a very clean driver, nothing too fancy, just something nice I can take to car shows. My plan at this time is to lower the truck (I am debating between the drop beams and an IFS), nice tires and wheels, paint it Wimbleton white with the red Ranger interior. I already have a red/white vehicle, I don't need two. It has a 360 right now, but will likely turn it into a 390 or 428 with a C-6 behind it. I will probably install some creature comforts like power steering, power disc brakes and A/C.

I don't like to see vehicles that are nice on the outside but rusty and tired underneath, so the cab is coming off and everything will be blasted and repainted. When I first started looking under the truck, I was discouraged by the amount of rust, but after seeing the rotten cabs and beds that some people have to deal with, I am now considering myself very fortunate, as for the most part all I have is surface rust. Like every other Slick, the front clip and core support were a nightmare to get apart. I almost gave up when all the bolts started spinning in place, but I have overcome the challenge.

I have learned alot over the past couple days from reading your posts and looking at the pictures, so I am looking forward to connecting with other "Slick" owners.

This is where I started

And here is my restored fire truck. This picture was taken in front of the fire station where it was originally in service.
Mike
1965 Ford F-100 LWB
1964 Ford C-1000 Fire Truck
2000 Ford Ranger 4x4

Image Image
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Re: New member from Washington

Post by F7BIGJOB »

:welcome: Looks like a great to start with truck. Cudos on the 'C' model, had 2 of them.Ya got the picture thing figured, good job. :clap:
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

:welcome: from sunny Florida 8)

nice truck :)

Danny
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Not sure who gave you the info on Rangers, my understanding is that the E before the 81 indicates a ranger. My 66 range is coded V81 (if I recall correctly). Looks like a great truck to start with.
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

From one Ranger owner to another...welcome to the club. :cheers: Yours looks exactly how mine did before I started. Should be a fun build. Been through Longview a few times, will have to check it out one day
Mark

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Welcome from the (normally balmy) third coast! Very nice vehicles!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
61blacklowrider
United States of America

Post by 61blacklowrider »

Good looking truck, great start. Love the fire truck!!!!! :welcome:
1965fordf100
United States of America

Post by 1965fordf100 »

Nice truck! And fire truck too! :welcome: from Reno, NV!
Phil
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

:welcome: from Phoenix.
Great looking truck and fire truck.
Keep the pics coming of the rebuild.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Mike-fire32
United States of America

Post by Mike-fire32 »

Thank you for making me feel welcome. Thanks also for the comments on the fire truck. It's my pride and joy, especially since I rode in it as a young boy and later as a volunteer firefighter. My father passed away when I was 7 years old, so this is my connection to him. I had to travel to Alaska in 1998 to buy it (it was sold to Soldotna in 1981) and return it to Portland, then took about 12 years to bring it back to original condition. If people are interested, I can post more pictures of the rebuild process. If nothing else, it would be encouragement for those who are feeling overwhelmed by their project, seeing how far down I took it and managed to get it back together. I have about 1200 pictures taken during the process; thank goodness for digital camera's.

On to the slick....I got the core support pulled off the other day; what a chore that was. Compared to what I have seen with other slick's, this one is virtually rust free, however the core support does have some rust. I would like your opinions as to whether I should clean this one up, put some POR15 on it and live with it, or spend the money on a new one. Please let me know your thoughts.

And a couple of progress shots....

Mike
1965 Ford F-100 LWB
1964 Ford C-1000 Fire Truck
2000 Ford Ranger 4x4

Image Image
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

Welcome from the south....At least to you......Albany Oregon. looks like a great rig in good hands. If you are looking for parts the Portland Swap meet in April is the local place to go. Keep the pictures coming.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Welcome from the far south west Mike, nice looking trucks!, your going to upset some of the guys from the rust belt with that CC ! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
ericeugenep

Post by ericeugenep »

I am new here as well, and also from the wet (wetter than normal) NW, Bonney Lake Washington, 45 min South of Seattle. I picked up a 68 F100, 2 owner (1 family) 240ci, 3 on the tree, Caribbean Turquoise and White, all original 128k miles.

I fell in love with this truck the second I saw it, I have had many Slicks over the years but this one is the coolest.

It is great to find a website like this.

Eric