lowering my 65

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Bugsy

lowering my 65

Post by Bugsy »

I've got a 65 f100 and was wondering if I could lower the back of the truck by relocating the leaf spring shackles and springs higher on the frame and notching the frame for the axel? I would cut the floor on the box to allow clearence( If needed) ,and the two piece drive shafts wouldn't give me problems with the new angle would they?
I would appreciate some good advice,also any ideas on low buck front end lowering? :burp:
Grabbin' Gears & Drinkin' Beers
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: lowering my 65

Post by jamesdfo »

Bugsy: It all depends on HOW LOW you are trying to go:) Typically, the diff is flipped (ie: diff is placed ABOVE the springs, and blocks are used to raise the diff, which lowers the truck).
If you do a search, I'm certain this has been discussed before, should be some more info....

James
sully5

Post by sully5 »

Axle flip REQUIRES frame notch. Also, if your springs are a little flat, your diff will hit the floor over bumps. I used add-a-leaf after flipping to gain 1.5 inches back. Here's the stance:

If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Bugsy: You might get better response (or at least more responses) if you re-post your question under "Truck Talk".
Tips and Tricks is for folks to describe/document "how to's" or tips for our trucks.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks everyone.
Bugsy :burp:
Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

Sully5,What did you do to lower the front of that beautiful truck? and could you please send me a full bodied pic of the truck ?
Thank you,
sully5

Post by sully5 »

I did a FRONT axle flip and 2" lowering springs as well. Got a little too low and brought it up 1" with an additional spring in the pack. The caveat on front axle flips is the steering. I went with No Limit's rack and pinion.

The front required c-notching and I boxed it for extra strength because my engine rests right over the c-notch.

Engine placement is critical. I have the dual sump oil pan on a 302 and the rear sump was too close to the rack. I killed two birds with one stone by moving the front axle forward 1.5". First, it placed the front tires in the wheel opening better and it gave me better oil pan clearance.

Here's full pic to show stance:

Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

Sully5,Again thank you.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Bugsy, If you have a 65 you have a whole diffrent front suspention to deal with , You will have to cut coil springs and have beams bent? :2cents:

Danny
Last edited by Hunter's 64 on May 23, 2012, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sully5

Post by sully5 »

True, I forgot his is a 65.
Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

I knew right away that sully5 front end and mine were on two different prodject paths when I viewed the pics (LOl),But, thanks for the photo's anyway. I was talking with a Buddy of mine yesterday about my plans and he asked if I would like a complete front end off a 77 ford truck for parts it's a 1/2 ton too. Does anyone know if I could swap the disc brakes,power steering and still lower the front of the truck using the Dream beams without any real compications ?
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

If you cut a coil be ready to see tire wear.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

If you don't cut too much you can still get it aleined properly to avoid tire wear.

Danny
Dakota Kids

Post by Dakota Kids »

[quote][/quDoes anyone know if I could swap the disc brakes,power steering and still lower the front of the truck using the Dream beams without any real compications ?ote] Not a problem everything works well. Do a search I believe someone wrote up a detailed article on the swap. We used the disks from a 1976 pickup. Aside from some differences in king pins and Brake lines everything went together well.
If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.
Yogi Berra
Bugsy

Post by Bugsy »

Thanks to everyone . I have sold my truck and moved on to a different project. (Yes, its another ford truck, just a little more newer.) :burp:
J-Val65

Post by J-Val65 »

hi everyone I am new, I have a 65 f 250 and would to lower it but don't know how to lower the twin I beam without spending a bunch of money and still being safe thank you.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

sully5 wrote:I did a FRONT axle flip and 2" lowering springs as well. Got a little too low and brought it up 1" with an additional spring in the pack. The caveat on front axle flips is the steering. I went with No Limit's rack and pinion.

The front required c-notching and I boxed it for extra strength because my engine rests right over the c-notch.

Engine placement is critical. I have the dual sump oil pan on a 302 and the rear sump was too close to the rack. I killed two birds with one stone by moving the front axle forward 1.5". First, it placed the front tires in the wheel opening better and it gave me better oil pan clearance.

Here's full pic to show stance:

Great looking truck Sully5!! 8) :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif