Grille Swap?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Oregoon

Grille Swap?

Post by Oregoon »

My '66 grille is in reasonable shape though it has a small ding. However, I much prefer the earlier grills--especially the '63 and the '65--and was wondering how easily they interchange and how easily come by they are?

My core support needs a little work anyway, and the Portland Swap meet is coming... Ideally, I want a white '65 grille and white bumpers.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
CHICOF100

Re: Grille Swap?

Post by CHICOF100 »

If your going to use the 65 grille, that's the best swap you can do for a 66. Just remove and replace.
If you intend to use a grille from earlier years it can be done. Keep in mind that earlier years have the turn signals built in the grille. So you would need to swap out the upper valance. (Looks pretty ugly if you leave the upper valance from the 65-66 on with an earlier grille.)
Most of the bolt holes match up for an earlier year not all. It's all doable.
Since your hoping for a new core support, this would be the time to also replace the upper valance. If you plan on an earlier year. The 63 and the 65 grilles are harder to come by. It sounds as though you want a steel grille, a little easier to find.
Good luck at the swap meet.
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Thanks! I wondered about that valance...

Yeah, I definitely want a '65 steel grille. My support is good, except for a little rust near the battery-tray. And I'm not building a show truck by any means--just a clean cruiser, so it'll get one of my special welds (they look like I did them with my feet) followed by a good grinding and some paint.
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

Oregoon wrote:Thanks! I wondered about that valance...

Yeah, I definitely want a '65 steel grille. My support is good, except for a little rust near the battery-tray. And I'm not building a show truck by any means--just a clean cruiser, so it'll get one of my special welds (they look like I did them with my feet) followed by a good grinding and some paint.

Personal preference is what makes the world go around. I'm working on a '65 F350, it's for sure going to morph into a '66, we had it home for at least a week before I noticed it was painted dull aluminum, not actually aluminum. I'd trade it in a heart beat for a '66 grille, steel or aluminum. However the freight between Okla and Oregon probably wouldn't be appealing to either one of us.
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Iceman used US Post service to send me a nos 63 grille from Alaska to Florida for like $30? Shipping isn't that bad...
skidmark
United States of America

Post by skidmark »

greybeard if orgoon and you dont work a deal i have a very nice alum 66 grill and im looking for a steel 65 grille !!!
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

Oregoon, give me a call. A buddy has a 65 grill from a truck we bought a month ago or so. Probably get a good deal so he wont have to ship. going to the swap meet on Thursday and could bring it by.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I just saw this... My apologies. I'll be in touch.
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

The older upper valence and older grill will bolt in place. I used a 61 upper valence with a 66 grill and moved the TS to the headlights. Looks good to me.
William-in-St. George
graybeard
United States of America

Post by graybeard »

Well, as much as it's already been mentioned and cheap freight discussed, I've got this '65 steel grill I'd sure like to trade for a '66 aluminum. Exchanging pictures would have to be through personal email address, sorry I just don't need the photo bucket thing.
If you can't run with the big dogs "STAY UNDER THE PORCH" !!!!!