61-64 step well trim

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kstones63
United States of America

61-64 step well trim

Post by kstones63 »

Has anybody compared the factory original aluminum trim pieces for the 61-64 step wells that Mongrelmotorsports used to make? I have a company here that might be interested in making them. I have a set from Mongrel but I didn't know if they are close enough to the original. If they are close enough I will give him mine to make a pattern off of. This company is already dealing with LMC so if this works out, they might become available again.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: 61-64 step well trim

Post by Hunter's 64 »

I think Tom used to sell them , maybe he will chime in :2cents: Or DV65CustomCab I think He was Mongrelmotorsports :dontknow:

Danny
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Right now we sold 3 in the past month on the ones that are hand made, I doubt that LMC Will even come close to these especially if LMC Farms it out overseas,,, I don't know who Mongrelmotorsports is ? unless they are going under another name or a alias out there, I know the ones we sell are hand made, not mass produced are pricey but worth it, in past dealings with overseas there is a lot of backstabbers over there and we get all the time people come by wants to know what parts to be made and I simple tell them I don't want no part of that, then before you know it the quality will go way down as well, I took a sample set a long time ago and it was going to cost us about 350.00 a set at a place that makes other parts strictly for us and with them only a hour from us I have complete control on parts made for us, bottom line I don't trust over seas tactics but who know maybe they can do something right now...
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

This company is here in Phoenix and making all of their own parts, not the Chinese made garbage. They are doing door handles, breather vents, windshield wiper bullets and a lot of other parts. They are selling some of these parts to LMC for resale.
They are specializing in all American made parts.
He wanted to look at the step well trims and will get me a price on making them.
I am just not sure how close to the originals that mine are.

Kevin
kstones63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Kevin, I can send you a set of originals if you wish to compare or use as a pattern. I would also be glad to send an original door pocket surround if he might be interested in duplicating them in aluminum.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

:popcorn:
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Toyz wrote:Kevin, I can send you a set of originals if you wish to compare or use as a pattern. I would also be glad to send an original door pocket surround if he might be interested in duplicating them in aluminum.
Paul
Paul, I will take him one of mine so he can get me a price on doing this. Mine will be close enough to get a price on and if that is acceptable, maybe I will have you send me yours so we can get an exact duplicate.

Kevin
kstones63
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

Kevin, i can supply an original door pocket surround if they are interested...
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I got a price for the step well trim (61-64 body style) to match mine. They would have to sell for $180 pair. I would have to commit to 10-12 pair before he will set up and make them for me. That's a lot of money to put out if they are going to sit around for a couple of years. If I do this I would try to keep a few in stock at all times so they would be available but it is the initial outlay of money that is hard to take if nobody is interested.

Any interest.

Kevin
kstones63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Kevin, there are other options currently available; I seem to recall them being in the $140.00 range. For the life of me, I can't remember who posted them on Facebook, about the time someone else was asking $200.00 for used ones!
If yours match the quality you usually put into your stuff, I suspect there are some customers readily available at your price point. The same seller on Facebook has now dropped the prices (slightly) on the used ones, but I would suspect they do not look like new! I haven't seem any of these except the originals; knowing Tom, I would suspect his product is beyond reproach.
I have machined the originals to "clean them up" with good results, but it is a tedious process (it would help if I knew what I was doing!), and I would not care to make any from scratch. One reason I suggested the door pocket trim is that I think one could eliminate a lot of waste, if he were to make these from billet, by machining both from a common blank!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the easiest and cheapest way to reproduce them would be from aluminum castings.

you would start by making a hardwood pattern [mahogany or hard maple] then get a price from a foundry.
after the parts are cast, polishing and drilling the holes is all thats left, maybe anodising,not sure if the originals were or not.
:2cents:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yeah, Skip and I have talked about re-living our high school sand-casting days. Still a lot of work to polish and finish, but think of all the myriad possibilities on slicks alone! Think I'll go work on my aluminum material source of supply right now!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

HISTORY LESSON for the day:

We had 2 members here that had them done for the step and door pocket back in the early days. Wayne and Dwight from the MAC chapter. They sold them thru Dwight's website "mongrelmotorsports". Not sure if there are any left but the price was the same as you say Kevin.

Tom----of course you know Dwight!

And Wayne is the one who unearthed the "F-100 XL"

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Kevin, I would go $180 for a pair for my '62. See if there is enough interest here and maybe you can make a run. Count me in for 1 set if you want to do it.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Ditto.But I would like to see what they look like first. :)
Every day above ground is a good one
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I will try and remember to take a pic of mine and post it on Sunday. Mine are unpolished and I forgot to find out if he was going to polish these or not. I hope that his plan was to polish them because everything else that he makes is polished. I will find out.

Kevin
kstones63
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Hey Tim we still selling them for Wayne we have 3 pair in stock at most times and cannot keep them in stock,, last month shipped out 5 pair for him, I wait till I see Kevin's on quality of part.. like I said before a lot goes into these,, price of aluminum, time setting up of the CNC Machine and that's why a lot of big companies don't want to make parts, smaller companies like one man operations can do cheaper if they are not really busy, but after talking to a lot around here they are slammed since what big companies call giving there scraps to them... I f they look as good when polished like the ones I have seen when finished and just as thick not some low thin aluminum pieces then it should be a good part
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

There ya go guys, not to step on your toes Kevin ( no reference to Alan) but the ones Tom has {Flashback F 100s } are really nice quality and Local made
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

Tim, These won't be Chinese made pieces of junk. This shop will make them locally on his CNC machines.
My trim pieces in my truck are not polished and he figured the price that way. If they need to be polished, he was figuring up to $60 more for the pair.

Kevin
kstones63
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Any updates, Kevin? Just curious as to where you are on this project.

Thanks,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!