speedometer cable questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mac
United States of America

speedometer cable questions

Post by mac »

i searched here and on google but i can't find an answers so:

1.is anyone reproducing a speedo cable for my 64 with a 3 speed?
mac's and DC lists 57-60 and 65-66...if not...has anyone used a cable from a different year with sucess?

2. i'm wondering if anyone knows what color/tooth driven gear i need. i have a 3.92 rear end.

3. my cable is just dangling under the truck. so where does the cable go in the side of the trans? i'm sure it's obvious but i'm not seeing it. shop manual is no helo either. wondering if theres some way to reuse what i have.
64 f100 shortbox 292 3spd
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Re: speedometer cable questions

Post by Uncle Skip »

LMC has them for your truck. P/N #47-2030 for about $20.00.
Page 90 in the current catalog. Call Tom at Flashback F100's. I'm betting he has them too.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The cable goes into the tailshaft of the transmission. Should be a hole on the drivers side.
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

mac wrote:i searched here and on google but i can't find an answers so:

1.is anyone reproducing a speedo cable for my 64 with a 3 speed?
mac's and DC lists 57-60 and 65-66...if not...has anyone used a cable from a different year with sucess?

2. i'm wondering if anyone knows what color/tooth driven gear i need. i have a 3.92 rear end.

3. my cable is just dangling under the truck. so where does the cable go in the side of the trans? i'm sure it's obvious but i'm not seeing it. shop manual is no helo either. wondering if theres some way to reuse what i have.
Any f100 cable up to about 72' should have the correct cable ends. As far as teeth quantity, it depends on the tire size and # of teeth on the gear in the tail housing. For a 31" tires we used a 17 tooth driven gear on the cable for 3.89 rear end in a 64 3-speed with the factory tranny drive gear and it was about right. I think it was black. There are plenty of online calculators for teeth count if you google it.
mac
United States of America

Post by mac »

LMC lists a cable for a 3 speed light duty 63-66

finally got around to pulling the driven gear out of the trans. 20 teeth. it's white and looks like the picture they have for
'57-'62. great, but my truck is a '64. so now i'm wondering if i should get a recplacmemt 57-62 gear like what i have or get the correct 63-72 style gear. no way of knowing if it's a 64 trans and the old style gear ever worked or if it's indeed a '57-'62 trans
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=43

is there a way to ID if the trans is a 57-62 or 63-72? i know in '63 they went to a synchronized
first gear, mine behaves like it isn't snychronized. if no one has any input i guess i'll just order both.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I have found that depending on your trans, you may need different ends, you just can't go by
what is in the catelogs.
From what I have seen, you either have a bullit end that sticks into the tranny and is held in with a clip and a bolt, or you have a screw in ferrel a little larger than
what screws in behind the dash. That ferril will screw into a male thread nipple that is either screwed into the trans or has a clip and a bolt that holds it in.
Dennis carpenter has them,, I would suggest calling them and ask to speak to one of the old timers, that way when you explain what you need, they won't just look in the catelog by year, but will know what you are looking for.
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
mac
United States of America

Post by mac »

mine has a plug type thing that pops in the trans and has a little o ring to seal it and no threads on it so i guess it is supposed to be held on by a clip. so i i know i need that kind of cable, just confused on the different ends. they aren't expensive i might just order both
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

In our 5 speed swap we found the same cable that worked for the 64' 3 speed worked for the M5R2 5 speed. It appeared to me that prior to 1972 the transmission end of the cable stayed the same but the gauge end of the cable was no longer a thread on type. I just got ours from Advanced Auto for $22 or so. The gear on the end of the cable that slipped into the tranny, driven gear, may not be the same but attached to the cable the same.