My Rant

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

therealjoeshmoe

My Rant

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

OK, i may not do things like a pro, but you know something, I'm not a pro... I'm learning as i go.. I'm enjoying doing it all myself. i may not use some of the accepted materials, and accepted ways, but I am on a budget.. I know everyone has their opinion on things and can really point out the negatives online.. but let me tell you, drive line wise my truck was perfect, it ran perfect, drove perfect (even with the bent beams) i really like this site because of all the positive feedback I USED to get. there are a lot of guys on here Ive known along time and think a lot of..and there are a lot of guys on here that just like to point out what your doing wrong, (Ive been guilty of that as well) and I know some posts are just people trying to help, but I'm building MY truck not yours... I'm gonna build my truck the way I want to.. thanks for your opinions though. I'm not trying to be a butt head about this. I always look forward to posting here because i wanna hear positive stuff about my truck, that's what gets my adrenaline going and helps me stay focused... I don't want to sign on and see a post saying I bought the wrong paint, that stuff doesn't work very well, you need to buy such and such.. maybe I'm just being to sensitive.. anyway
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
foodstick

Re: My Rant

Post by foodstick »

Ahhh, you'll do fine..

The main thing to remember is people around the country and world have MUCH different ideas of what joking is, and what being mean is... Sometimes I read a post 5 times before I can figure out if its joking, sarcasm, or what..

Thats one reason I am always a little leery of shredding on trucks found on the web... they could be lurkers here... Heck I have seen the look when someone thinks I am crazy for the way I did things...

I recall a remark about the floor metal replacement in my truck once along the lines of..

"Well, thats one way to do it..." I am not sure it was positive the way it was said.. But when I fixed the floors you couldn't buy floor patches, and I guarantee that metal will be there long after a set of patch floor metal will be gone ;)
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Joey.
The other thing to remember is that when you first joined our Slick family, it was pretty damn small (the family that is), the trucks weren't so popular as they are now (thanks to us), and the more exposure a breed of trucks gets, the more "experts" there seem to be.
Besides, I'm seen criticism my self and in most cases it was not personal. People just don't know how to express their opinions without sounding like a, well, you know.

Always remember the old adage, "Opinions are like A-hole's. Everybody has at least one."
8)
You're doing just fine.
Keep up the good work and "do it your way".
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
therealjoeshmoe

:cry: I love you guys..... lol

Image Image Image Image
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I had to go back and look at my post to make sure I hadn't posted anything negative! If I missed something, or it was elsewhere, I apologize! "Guilty conscience, I guess!
Joey, most of us ARE "learning as we go!"! As far as the jabs, I'm probably the worst of the bunch at that! Just keep in mind that it's just as you stated, it's your truck! You've done an admirable job on it! As Lance stated, the written word in any media is open to translation. Some statements which really bothered me have proven to be honest and meant to be helpful.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I'm learning all the time, too. I know what I'm into, and I generally can find something to appreciate regardless of what a builder's finished project looks like.

Screw the experts. They were all leaning once, too. And if they've stopped learning, then they were never very good to begin with.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

I apologize if my comment about the beams possibly being bent upset you - it definitely was not a slam or dig at you or your truck at all. I was just trying to help head off what I thought might be a potential problem.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Heck, its all over... I never saw much of an issue ... After a bad day of work or stressful incidents sometimes we all get OWL'ly ;) is that a word?
therealjoeshmoe

slixtyfive wrote:I apologize if my comment about the beams possibly being bent upset you - it definitely was not a slam or dig at you or your truck at all. I was just trying to help head off what I thought might be a potential problem.

its all good

Image Image Image Image
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Joey, you have to do it your way. If you do it to satisfy anyone else ......... it's not your truck.

I know I had some comments early on that may have upset you on the leaf spring paint but I was just trying to share what I had been told, not criticize.

Love your build. You are attacking that thing like I wish I could mine! You're driven and have a clear goal in mind. Keep it up, I can see the joy and pride in your work and it's great to see. It's justifiable pride.

Keep on truckin'
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

I always try to keep in mind that I can't see facial expressions or here tone of voice on the computer. Thanks, Lyman.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

this is a touchy topic,, so many opinions especially since the site has grown so much,, I can tell/suggest so many ideas BUT Don't do cause I said so like I tell so many I am not the one that has to work on it, you do,, But I can say I see so much wrong ways of doing things that I might speak up cause it's putting your life and others in danger,, here is one example, several years ago a wreck on a 67/72 truck. person died cause he was too lazy to put the rear bolts in his seat, seat crushed him when in impact into steering wheel,, and so many trucks we bring in those bolts are missing, a lot more anyway just my :2cents:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm getting off-topic , since this is in no way a comment on Joey's post!
Good thoughts, Tom! I tend toward the same approach. It's kinda like those warning signs everywhere; you get around to realizing they are there because someone screwed up!
Like you and others, I have seen the results, and I certainly don't want my good-intentioned advice to aid a calamity!
People are quick to reply, "I've done it this way for decades with no bad results" Unfortunately I've not been that lucky; either that or I'm extremely lucky that God decided to send me a gentle reminder!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I Remember Asking A "Greenhorn" Question On One Of The Other Sites, IT Felt Like I Was The Weak Member Of The Heard Being Singled Out & Taken Down By A Pack Of Wild Hyenas. By The Time It Was Over My Carcass Was Nearly Picked Clean! I Have Found That Sometimes A "Thick-Skin" Is Required To Find The Information Your Looking For. This Site Is Actually Pretty Tame In Comparison To The Other Sites..
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i only learn thru pain. both financial and physical. usually, when i ask a question it seems that i get every answer but the one i asked. lol. not here, of course. so, i quit asking and i just beat my head about under the hood of whatever it is i am working on until i learn or pass out. that's the fun of it!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.