Installing truck headers on an FE engine

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Sixfootfour

Installing truck headers on an FE engine

Post by Sixfootfour »

I replaced my 352 FE engine , and decided to use the 65-78 truck headers.
They are available from Summit and others for FE engines, and are a medium length.
First I tried the driver's side. The steering cleared OK, but the header's hit on the engine perch. I have a 66 F-250 with manual steering, and on close inspection, it was obvious that the power steering perch was needed.
So, off to the auto wrecker's and I got a perch from a power steering truck.
I changed to this perch ( there are holes in the frame for it ) and the headers went on.
Now the easy side, the passenger side. The headers slide right up from the bottom. But, how to get the starter on?
So, I pulled the header back out , and installed the starter.. Then the headers won't go in, the starter is in the way.[img][img]http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx129/Sixfootfour_photos/007.jpg[/img][/img]Image
63 Uni
73 Mustang 351C
74 Dodge Charger
76 Granada 2dr
Sixfootfour

Post by Sixfootfour »

Well that is the power steering in the truck. If you are getting the perch, you could get the whole set-up. It is a very easy bolt on, so power steering and headers, no problem. The starter and header problem is solved by by removing the motor mount nut on the right side mount, and lifting the motor about an inch or two. Then there is lots of room, and you can just drop the headers in from the top.
But, if you ever need to change the starter, you have to jack up the motor.
It is really not that hard. I tried to locate the wires to not land on the headers.
A custom set where you make your own length is a good plan.[img][img]http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx129/Sixfootfour_photos/002.jpg[/img][/img]
63 Uni
73 Mustang 351C
74 Dodge Charger
76 Granada 2dr
ABA

Post by ABA »

Yeah the passenger side is a pain. I took my starter off, installed the header but didn't bolt it to the head, bolted up the starter then the header.
Got long tubes on mine, No way to remove the starter without unbolting the header.

Good tip none the less.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ivaf100

Re: Installing truck headers on an FE engine

Post by ivaf100 »

That's the reason I don't have headers on my 66 F-100. Another thing is the header is very close to the starter and the heat will damage the starter. I've heard Sanderson makes a shorty header for the FE that will not interfere with the starter
On a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rust.
Frank
LM14
United States of America

Re: Installing truck headers on an FE engine

Post by LM14 »

I have long tubes on my '66. They hug the starter really bad. There is a heat wrap around the starter. I just had to change the starter. I unbolted the header and unhooked it from the rest of the exhaust. Then took out the motor mount bolts and raised the engine about an inch and a half or so. You could then wiggle the header and starter into place. Took me 3 hours to get it out and about an hour and a half to put it all back together. That was lying on my back, not a hoist. I still have to put the heat wrap back around the starter.

I have the Sanderson shorties on my '62 with a 390. They do clear the starter better. Very nicely made headers. They don't have a lot of room around the motor mount. I have Mustang mounts on the engine and had to modify them a bit. Since my truck has the IC Dakota front cross member, I had to build my own towers anyway.

You have to love headers to run them.
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!