Brake lights

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Brake lights

Post by Mr. Jones »

Should there be power going to one the wires on the brake light switch?My 350 is frame mounted under the cab.also should it be hot all the time or only with the key on?
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Re: Brake lights

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Unsure on an F350, but the 100 & 250 with ignition 'on'
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

One wire to the brake light switch will always be hot.
The other wire goes to the turn signal cam and will over ride both rear turn signals when put your foot on the brake. You should be able to see the stop lights even when the ignition is off.
The second hot wire that goes to the turn signal cam is hot only when the key is on and it controls the front turn signals and the rear turn signals. (each turn light has its own wire from the steering column).
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sorry hate to say this but brake lights only work with ignition on.at least with the pressure type switch
it is possible to change this by changing the wire on the back of the ignition switch from the on to the battery feed (center)
terminal.

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Annnd, while we're picking on you :P The brake lamp does not override the turn signal, the exact opposite is true. AAAAnd, the rear turn signals share the wire with the brake lamps on each side. I would suspect the un-common setup of only working with key on is due to the tendency of the pressure-actuated switches to stick and thus potentially drain batteries and damage lenses. Once hazard lamps came into common (mandated) presence on light vehicles, I believe all went to full time hot, probably to simplify the hazard circuits. You may have noticed that with flashers engaged and turn signal also engaged with key off, many systems thus became "three way flashers"
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul