need help...360 exhaust manifold removal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

simonscr
United States of America

need help...360 exhaust manifold removal

Post by simonscr »

So I finally get to fix the exhaust leak on my dads truck. The right side manifold had been leaking out the back port for years, and just yesterday, it blew out the center port gasket. So my dad decided that maybe it should get fixed now.

I hear nothing but bad thing when one has to change the gasket. I have soaked the 4 top bolts with penetrating oil and had the collector pipe off this last fall. Not sure what to do with the lower bolts.

What is my best method to remove the exhaust manifold, and not brake bolts. Planning on reassembling with studs and brass nuts. Thank god it is on the right side, where there is room to work!
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: need help...360 exhaust manifold removal

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

bottom bolts on the fe exhaust are rarely an issue
the top ones being open on the back side and often with threads sticking out can be a real b!tch.
if heating the manifold and spraying pb or some other penetrant from the back side does not work and they do break i have had success in drilling thru and using easy outs to remove the threads.

one other last ditch option,if you break them and do not wish to remove the head i once drilled them thru with a 3\8 hole and used nuts on the backside.worked quite well, not great to look at but if its your only transportation...

a word of advice is if you do get them out and the threads are good still, coat the bolts,all of them with anti-seise and you wont ever have the problem again.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

ive cut the heads off to remove the manifolds.then penetrating oil a few wacks with a hammer and visegrips or small pipe wrench to unscrew whats left.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ytep, done that too.
forgot to mention that when you replace the top bolts get the correct length so they do not stick out the back of the threads.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Use a small butane torch and heat the bolts up nice and red. Turn the wrench tight then loose in tiny increments. PB Blaster works well. Have a backup plan cause you will likely snap the bolts.
William-in-St. George
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Thanks for the feed back!

Is going to studs and nuts on the reassembly a better idea than using bolts? Any recommendations on brand of gasket to use?
Simon

65 f 100

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Studs can often magnify clearance problems if future removal is needed. :2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

IF all the above fails bolts can be blown out with a torch. If bolts are too long and rusted on end you risk cracking or breaking the exhaust ear on head by forcing it through. I recommend using a welders blanket and having a fire extinguisher handy. Anyone tried the copper header gaskets on OEM manifolds?
Chris
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Try a mixture of Dextron ATF fluid and acetone. Worked great on the seized-up bolts in my wife's old Isuzu Trooper's aluminum head.
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Replaced the manifold gasket today. Bottom bolts and head pipe bolts came right out. The upper bolts felt like they were going to brake, so I heated the head up around the bolts with a small propane torch and spayed a little PB blaster. Bolt came loose and out!

Used a flat file and a straight edge to clean up the exhaust manifold. Hide sight being what it is, I should have gotten the manifold surfaced as I had spent 3 hours with a file to make the manifold flat. Lots of rust pitting.

All back together now. Only took 1.5 hours to replace the gasket. And 3 additional hours to fix the manifold!
Simon

65 f 100