Fathers Day

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Blackwaterforge

Fathers Day

Post by Blackwaterforge »

I walked out to the shop today and when I opened the door it seemed heavy. As I walked across the shop floor I could hear the coal dust crunching under my shoes and I was reminded that I was wearing my good clothes. I looked across the shop at the empty ladder back chair next to the coal stove. I almost expected to see him sitting there. Greasy overalls, cap sitting a little sideways on his head, holding a part up toward the light and looking at it over his bifocals.
I thought about how different he looked now. Cold,stiff, strength gone and wisdom departed.
I thought about my earliest childhood memories of riding on his shoulders hiking through the forest.
I thought about his last request to me that his ashes be scattered in the same forest.
I thought about the projects we have worked on together. His house, my house, his barn, my barn, his shop, my shop, trucks, tractors, lawnmowers. We have worked on almost every machine with moving parts. We even made seven new cedar ribs for a canoe and stretched new canvas on it. I realize the projects where his way of pouring his life into me to prepare me to walk into a time that he would not see. I now wonder what I can do with my life that will be worthy of his investment? It's been nine days since I lost my Dad and I already have a list of questions I wish I could ask him.
Goodbye Dad. I miss You!
If it cain't be fixed with a sledge hammer it must be an electrical problem!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Fathers Day

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

25 years,6 days.

almost 3 months from the last time we were together at my brothers college graduation.

in a little over 2 years i will be as old as he was.

lots of memories, lots of things i never got to ask.

the days between d-day and fathers day are always hard, my dad was never sick a day in his life,then late one night he had a massive heart attack.no suffering, the emt's said he never knew .

i still miss him very much.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

I am still young and lucky enough to have mine.

A great man that I know did his best to prepare me to prepare mine.

I am always sad for those who have lost theirs. I hope you have a happy fathers day...I hope you can reflect on the good times
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

11 years seven months
one of my best friends buried his dad tuesday. Its hard not to let him know that the hollow feeling never goes away
Blackwater thanks for the thoughts
rip pops
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

My dad been gone 7 years
He was a bad azz in ww2 I learned after he passed away
He never spanked me
I farmed and we worked together almost everyday
I wish I could hear him say "that won't work" again
I would work a week....just to prove him wrong
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

16 years 10 months

It never gets easier.

Nic
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Mine's been gone over 30 years. I was pretty young when he died. A day does not go by that I don't think of something I want to tell or ask him. We were in the same profession and I constantly ran into people that knew and worked with my dad. Once they made the connection, I usually got a story. These stories let me know more about my dad than living with him for 25 years did.

He gave me my love for cars, racing and my hatred for wood working. Unlike Pat's dad, mine spanked me. Several times. I always had it coming.

Miss him.
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

BWF: Sorry for your loss. Elegant statement to your dad. I miss mine most when I have a problem to solve. He was uneducated as to "book learning" but was a master diesel mechanic and a great machinist. He worked on Catipillar earth moving equipment and later Mach trucks. I was so envious of him because he got to drive the Atlanta Fire Dept trucks on test drives after repairs.
I remember sitting on the fender of a 49 Merc pounding the pistons into the cylinders with the handle of a ball peen hammer.

RIP Herbert Gordon Ingram.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

6 years 1 month 13 days, still miss him everyday. Beautiful testament to your father BWF.
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I never knew my birth father. The man who earned the title "Dad" has been gone for quite some time now. He started at a very young age as a farmer in the times when that term meant fixing whatever needed fixed, mechanical or otherwise. I never knew his dad, but I am pretty sure I owe him a deep debt of gratitude also. I only wish I could have had longer to learn the lessons he had learned in a much harder manner.
Happy Father's day to all!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

My Dad died 25 years ago and I still miss him, I am now 2 years older than he was.................

My mother pass away yesterday 13/6/2014 at 12:30 pm, She had been fighting cancer and last September asked the doctors to stop her treatment as She didn`t want to go through all the pain of it, as She said, She didn`t want to live till She was 90 and had had a good life and was ready to die....RIP MUM!...
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

My condolences, Alan! My Mom made the same choice; after battling down cancer years ago, when it recurred at 89, she was ready to go! I think she had a good life, considering the times of her youth. Her retirement years were spent doing what she wanted where she wanted, and she had certainly earned that luxury! I can only hope to remain as active as long as she did!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Sorry to hear that, Alan. Like we talked in chat last week they seem to make up their mind when it's that time. You were right.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Lost my Dad 24 years ago and in 3 years will be his age when he passed.
His 91st birthday would have been June 21. and I think about all the things he
missed with the grandkids and now great grands. I learned a lot from him over
the years and miss him every day. Caught myself dialing his phone number more
than once to ask him a question about something automotive.
BWF, nice tribute to your dad! I think a lot of us have mental images of our
dads at particular times like that. Soon as I read that, an image of mine popped
into my memory very similar to that.
My condolences to your Mom too Alan. TR
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

My Dad was lost now over 41 years in a semi accident and I was there in it,, still to this day haunts me , one minute there and next in seconds gone,,, some things are hard to do and one is calling somebody else Aunt/Uncle to be home saying I am coming home alone at the age of 17 especially on Easter Weekend,, for years after it was hard to drive on that day,, sometimes would not leave on that day,, At least in the trucking business I was able to work with my Dad from 10 years old till I was 17 and was back when Slicks where brand new and had a fleet of 10 trucks on the Ford Side with several Macks as well.... On another sad day and Truckrat can relate to this it was a sad day in Oklahoma City since that day is associated with the Oklahoma City Bombing in April 19th in which a lot of people lost their lives
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo