Steering damper in a 2 wheel drive truck?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

Steering damper in a 2 wheel drive truck?

Post by dotcentral »

Has anyone added a steering damper to their 2 wheel drive truck? I have a lot of wobble and jumpiness when hitting road bumps and poor steering at highway speeds since I added power steering. I upgraded to disc brakes, new brass kingpin bushings, new suspension linkage and still not happy with it at speeds over 40 mph.

I have been thinking about trying to find something maybe off a newer truck at a salvage yard. Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Steering damper in a 2 wheel drive truck?

Post by unibody madness »

Replaced all the goodies on my sons straight axle and tightened up the steering box, yet it still had a bit bit of drukren monkey steering, even though we had added a skip style front sway bar.

Seems he had pinched the brake line under the steering box when he installed it. When he loosend it all up to fix the problem, he neglected to retighten the sector shaft arm, and that little bit of wiggle was enough to mess it all up.
If you have replaced all the worn bits and pieces with new I would suggest you go back and check all nuts and bolts to make sure you don't pull a John.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I put one on mine, It didn't help a lot but it did feel better after it was on. I had oversized tires on it then . I forget where I got it and I had to adapt it a little but it was pretty cheap to buy. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I use and like them. They are not a "fix" for bumpsteer or wander; those problems need to be identified and addressed; but they do improve the "feel" IMO!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

About the only thing I haven't checked that I can think of, is to try and adjust the PS gear box. Or just replace it.

Thanks for the replies.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold