Another cab mount question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Yellardawg

Another cab mount question

Post by Yellardawg »

I am installing new Front cab mounts on my '65 and will be installing new floor pans as well.

I was amazed at the amount of dirt that had collected in the old cab mounts (42 years worth, I assume the reason for holding moisture and causing rust) and was wondering if anyone had ever made part of the floor pan removable so that you had large access to the inside of the cab mount for cleaning/maintenance???

Thanks
YD
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Thats why the 65 66 mount has the big hole in the front. Not only to access the bolt but clean them out. There are sheet metal covers that goes over the hole.

Garbz
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

Garbz wrote:Thats why the 65 66 mount has the big hole in the front. Not only to access the bolt but clean them out. There are sheet metal covers that goes over the hole.

Garbz

From what I read, these mounts are often very rusty and in need of replacement, I assume because no one has ever cracked open the inspection plate to clean them out. Is it too much of a PITA for them???

From the amount of dirt/mud that was in mine, I assume 42 years worth, the inspection hole would not have sufficed.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Doncha see It would have if they removed inspection plate & flushed the debris out every so often like they're s'posed to, huh? shrug.gif

Or better yet, if they incorporated later, 77 & up, style plastic inner fender liners that prevent all that road splsah & mud from ever reaching metal fenders & body underpinings to begin with, but that's a whole 'nother story about better preservation practices I guess. . . . :hm:

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

So Pete....does someone have a "How To" post about preserving these mounts so that I don't have to do this in the future?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your expertise.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

In this thread; http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3277 66FordTruckNut shows a pic of the mounts he made to help eliminate the dirt collecting problem. Looks to me like they'd work great! :D

If you want to go with original style mounts, just make it point to get in there & clean them out periodically with a nylon brush, so it doesn't scratch the paint in there & expose bare metal.
A few years ago, I thought maybe I'd swiss-cheese the bottom of the mounts, when I put new ones on, but I kinda like 66FTN's idea better.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

Thanks.

I've already got one of the original style mounts installed.

I appreciate all of the input. I'll just make a point to periodically clean them out.
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Once you have them in liberally slather POR 15 inside the mount and floor pan and keep the drains clear.

Garbz
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

Garbz wrote:Once you have them in liberally slather POR 15 inside the mount and floor pan and keep the drains clear.

Garbz

I'm sorry....."POR 15"? Not ringing any bells in the old noggin.

:?
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

Ahhhhh............http://www.por15.com/

Google is great.