Engine Swap Help!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

James

Engine Swap Help!

Post by James »

So with the help of several members I have determined that my truck does in fact have a 352 mated to a cruiseomatic trans, Holley two barrel carb. Has power steering and brakes. Now the decision has to be made, which engine and tranny to use.

Truck is my daily driver.
Plan to tow a 3,000 - 4,000lbs travel trailer for weekend trips.
Do not expect much in the way of fuel economy but 15mpg would be nice!
75% of driving is city.

Do I Rebuild my current drive train?
Move up to a 390, 429, 460?
Go smaller with a 300 straight six?

Based on engine which automatic trans would be my best bet?

Thanks in advance.

James
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I was able to get 15 mpg from my bone stock 352. A heavy spring on the throttle kept me out of the gas, and dialling the fuel mixture as lean as it would tolerate (done by PO) probably helped.
If you rebuild the 352, use a "RV" spec cam and set it up for torque as much as possible. Low rpm power is where it's at, since these engines aren't made to rev unless you dump lots of money in them. The 390 crank setup would help in this regard. 429 parts are going to be expensive and hard to find.
The 460 is a good engine for your purposes. While I hate to see the FE yanked out of there, it's probably your best swap alternative if you want to go that route. It does require a bit more work than just bolting it in though. 460 parts aren't cheap, but they aren't expensive either.
The six is a good engine, and one I'd recommend for anyone considering a small block, but I don't think it will be worth the swap effort when you already have big block alternatives.

The FE means you are pretty much stuck with a C6 for a transmission unless you build/buy an adapter of some sort to run something else. Sturdy, but not very fuel efficient and darn heavy.

The 460 alternative opens you up to the AOD transmissions.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Phil

Post by Phil »

DV65CustomCab wrote:The 460 alternative opens you up to the AOD transmissions.

and cheaper rebuild parts plus boatloads of torque,

There are a number of guys doing the 385 swaps.
Bigtrip460 has done it. A few guys on 460ford.com.
My 429 truck is hacked so I can easily post pics of how not to do it.

Unless you have to do it this week or something do somee research online.
There are several builders I'd recommend in various places in the US on 460ford. WA, TN, MI, Springfield OH. All can do modest builds. There are a LOT of 8-10sec racers on that forum. You don't need that but obviously they know all the tricks. If I can help nail a 460 build lemme know.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Hauling a 4000 lb Trailer? (thru the mountains I would think) Not worried about gas mileage? Looks like the 460 with LOTS of radiator is your obvious choice to me. I am still not too sure about overdrive trannys for that setup, but an OD is not much use towing, anyway.

One of the cheapest/easiest setups would be to stoke out your current motor to 390 or more (since it is the same block)or whatever other stroker options there might be out there. Several stock Ford crank configurations you could use. C6 is the transmission choice for that purpose , as someone already said.

I'd avoid small blocks and 300 sixes for that kind of towing duty, but a stroked out Windsor, say a 408 from a 351 block, might get you near what you would need. Transmission choices are better too.

some stroker kits:
http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/FEKitTech.html
http://www.fordstrokers.com/index.php?t ... uct_id=123
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-FORG ... enameZWDVW
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Johnny Canuck wrote: C6 is the transmission choice for that purpose , as someone already said.

Geez, JC, now I'm just a "somebody"? :shock:
I guess it's still better than being a "nobody". :lol:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

My deepest apologies, Dwight.
Having a 'sensitive' day are we?
Again, sincerest sympathies, I shall endeavor to give credit where credit is due in the future faint.gif bang.gif _headdesk__by_Warpedmind125.gif oops.gif
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

He is still calling your wife later tonight while you are on chat and bribing her to rollin pin you......

Garbz
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

No chat for me tonite, Boyz. Hitting the Stock car races if it don't rain.
(dodged that bullet) 8)
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

If you go with a 460 you might as well go with the OD tranny. You can turn off the OD for towing and turn it on for regular driving to save some fuel, this is why Ford set them up this way. That is the way I would go if it were me.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.