Newbies 66

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Telford
United States of America

Newbies 66

Post by Telford »

I figured I should stop lurking and Introduce myself. As a kid my dad had 66 Step side and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Over the years I have had several projects, most of my experience comes in the way of off-road Jeeps. I always enjoyed building them, especially the fabrication aspects of each project. I got tired of taking the jeeps out just to beat them up and not being able to enjoy them on an everyday basis. I have been on the search now for long time and a search lead me to Idaho where I found my truck. As luck would have it the same weekend I found it I was heading to Idaho, My Wife and I took a 2 hour detour and picked it up. I drove it all the way back to Utah, cruising at 70 without any issue at all. I was giggling all the way home, scheming and planning my build. I guess you could say I have it all in my head in what and how I will do it. Im a full time student, and I work two jobs. I have 3 boys, but the luckiest guy in the world because I have a wife who understands and loves it just as much or more than I do. Because of current status in life the build will be done in stages. Right now its a stock truck, the previous owner had done a few things to it, rust is not bad (could be worse) a lot of the surface body work is done, but all the stuff you don't see has been neglected. I replaced the seat last week, I went to the pick-n-pull and pulled a 50/50 split bench seat out of a 94 f250 and it bolted right up. At least now its comfortable to drive. Its running the 352 with a C/4 trans.

So for stage 1 of my build heres my plan, I've got a crown vic front clip sourced, just need to pick it up. I plan on doing discs all the way around. Currently a Dana 60 is in the rear. This is up for debate, do I keep it, four link the (using bags, or a donor coil spring) or do I go with the independent rear suspension out of the T-bird. The 60 plan seems the easiest, but man that IRS is tempting. I want to bag it, but that may come later on down the road a ways.

Anyway, Im excited to be a part of this forum and get my build underway.

Last edited by Telford on September 1, 2014, 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Newbies 66

Post by Toyz »

:welcome: from the third coast! The Dana 60 is super sturdy and should be easy to convert to 4 link and bags. The 'Bird/ Mark VIII is also easy and adaptable to bags with a little effort, as is the Explorer IRS. There is a mounting kit for the 'Bird IRS available from Team 321 (truckirs.com) if you are not already aware of it. Many of us have chosen to make our own mounts in order to go lower and maybe a little cleaner. A big advantage IMO is the ability to go pretty low without disturbing the bed floor.
There is lots of good information here, as well as some great people; again, welcome!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul