Removing the grill - Ford was very cruel

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

theastronaut

Re: Removing the grill - Ford was very cruel

Post by theastronaut »

Having torn down a '66 F100, and a '65 C10, I'll have to say that this helped cement my love for Chevy's... :peepwall:
jjreagan

Post by jjreagan »

I am removing the grill from my '65 and this thread has helped. I seem to be stuck at getting the two bolts loose on the bottom of the grille, the ones that seem to be under the grille and through the grille tabs. If I bend the grille enough I can expose the bolt heads. Otherwise, I cant seem to find it from below. Are these the "J bolts" that everyone seems to have a problem with getting loose?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

jjreagan wrote:I am removing the grill from my '65 and this thread has helped. I seem to be stuck at getting the two bolts loose on the bottom of the grille, the ones that seem to be under the grille and through the grille tabs. If I bend the grille enough I can expose the bolt heads. Otherwise, I cant seem to find it from below. Are these the "J bolts" that everyone seems to have a problem with getting loose?
they go into the blind enclosed spot in the core support, a lot of people including me drill a hole below them into the core support from the bottom.
i used a small hole saw 5\8" i think it was. big enough for a socket to fit in.
i used a cutoff wheel to remove the bolt heads
then when reassembling used regular nuts and bolts.
doing this also gives drainage in the bottom of the core support.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

BINGO ! I actually drill these holes on the replacement cores as well.. they should have been there in the first place.
jjreagan

Post by jjreagan »

Thanks, that helps me clarify everything. I think I can proceed now, this was a stumper!
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Dang Paul, I was hoping the keenserts was some magical way to get out the extruded u-nuts that break off!! Just finished getting my grill out, had to take the sawsall to a couple of the bolts with broken u-nuts BUT I WON!!!!!!! I'm thinking this u-nut thing on the Uni is going to make tearing down the Model A in the future seem easy!
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Like I have said, SEE BELOW

jOHNNY
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

Some how I got the front clip of my 66 apart but I think it was one piece at a time and did not matter how since I was replacing the core support,going back togather I left out the two bolts for the grille that the frame was in the way to get at. I had a nice aluminum grille waiting to go in after it got painted and did not want to take the front clip apart just to install it with fresh paint,those two grille bolts were the only issue I ran into that gave me problems.
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Right you are Johnny!!! I'll take every busted knuckle I get and be proud of every Ford I own and that's all I own or will own.
longcabjohn wrote:Like I have said, SEE BELOW

jOHNNY
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block