ring gear replacement

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ICEMAN6166
Poland

ring gear replacement

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

this is from the other site.thought i would get it over here.

From: ICEMAN6166 (Original Message) Sent: 5/22/2003 12:37 AM
I posted this before a long time ago but i did the procedure again today so i will refresh it.
REMOVING/INSTALLING RING GEAR ON FLYWHEEL (MANUAL TRANS)
my ring gear on the 292 needed to be turned over because of worn teeth, engine is out, might as well do it now.
TOOLS: Propane torch, hammer, blocks of wood- one 6x6 0r 4x4 cut slightly shorter than the diameter of the ring gear, or 4-6" tall section of firewood.one 2x4 about 8" long,welding gloves or potholders.
EQUIPMENT: freezer and oven.(in winter if its cold enough you dont need freezer)
PROCEDURE: determine which side of flywheel is the larger side, gear sits on a step in flywheel O.D.
Place the large side up on your 4x4 or 6x6.
Take torch and begin heating up the ring gear, this will take a while, be patient and keep moving the torch around the gear, try to avoid heating the flywheel if possible, it will get warm but we want the gear to get as much of the heat if possible.
<WARNING -HEATING THE GEAR TO OVER 500 Degrees WILL RUIN THE TEETH>
It usually takes me about 20 minutes to heat the gear enough to expand it enough to remove.
After this time, take your hammer and 2x4 and begin to strike the gear , do this in a lug-nut tightening pattern , 12:00- 6:00, 9:00-3:00 etc, all the way around.if your first 2 hits dont budge it, warm it up a little more.
Once you see it start to move, continue until it comes all the way off.SINCE THE RING GEAR I.D. IS ACTUALLY SMALLER THAN THE O.D. OF THE FLYWHEEL, IT WILL "POP" OFF THE END AND HIT THE BENCH- BE AWARE.
Now for the real fun- I do this when the wife is gone, but she knows I do it.
Clean the flywheel and gear real good, put the flywheel on a cardboard in the freezer, put your ring gear in the oven at 375 degrees.
Find something else to do for an hour.
1 hour later, take flywheel out of freezer, place large side down on flat surface.
take ring gear out of oven (use welding gloves or potholders)
put ring gear on flywheel, make sure you put good edge of teeth towards the side engaged by starter (varies by type of starter-front or back)
my ring gear set right back on to the flywheel all the way to the step with no persuasion.
Have your adult beverage now.
I wonder if I could show this on Martha Stewart- its a good thing. ICEMAN , todays menu -cold flywheel with ring gear on the side.

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

and this is what Johnnie Canuck thought of my tricks;

I'm pretty sure my wife would not react kindly to baked ring gear and frozen flywheel souffle, since almost *anything* I do is banished to the garage!
and as far as Martha Stewart goes.... I hope there's no insider flywheel trading going on
;-)

JC
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Lowell
United States of America

Re: ring gear replacement

Post by Lowell »

I had to change my ring gear on my 240 a couple of summers ago. I was prepared to go the freezer/oven route,but I removed the stripped ring using a hefty punch. Then i laid the spare i had on the flywheel and with the help of two vice grips and the punch i was able to get it in place.Might not work on all engines though.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I have not done this with a ring gear but used a similar technique to install a stainless sleeve on a balancer. It makes a hard job much easier and you don't risk damage from the large hammer.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Yes, I have used this method on stuff before as well. Easy results, less wear and tear on everything and without the drama.