chanelled crown vic swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Tonkatoy

chanelled crown vic swap

Post by Tonkatoy »

Before tearing into my 64 I've been looking through every thread tring to find pictures and hint for the frame swap. It seems that to swap onto the cv frame the cab is channeled and the bed has a hump over the rear suspension. I don't need to go that low, and want a flat floor in the bed. Is this just so the frame don't show?
64 F100 CC Shortbed
CV PROJECT
64 FAIRLANE 500 4DR
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

yes but the axle is so low it would bounce off the box floor if you didn't do it, too.
Mike Carson is doing it different so he doesn't get the hump in the floor supposedly, but I haven't quite seen how yet.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

No, i've cut the bed floor. I was looking at running some rails, and taking off the outer rails from the CV frame to save from channeling the cab, but that appeared to be a headache looking to happen.

Victor, the CV has a coil spring, 4 link suspension. The bed floor is cut to make room for the associated structure. I'll try to get some new pics this weekend.

Here's a link to some pics of mine on the old MSN site.
http://groups.msn.com/Slick60sPics/64f100oncrownvicchassis.msnw
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Tonkatoy

Post by Tonkatoy »

mike I don't remember how I found them but those are the pictures that got me wondering if I should use this 97 CV ($300 cop car 110k) drive train in Sherry my fairlane and keep looking for a '03-04 and do the center section. I also put some current pictures in my gallery.
64 F100 CC Shortbed
CV PROJECT
64 FAIRLANE 500 4DR
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

IMO unless you are gonna haul firewood in it on a regular basis, those CV conversions handle so well that it is worth it to have that hump in the bed.. Man, Foodstick's cornered like it was on RAILS.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Hate to be a kiljoy, And no one says where they are from anymore, but check with your DMV before doing a frame swap. Most states do not allow this type of modification, let alone insurers.

Garbz
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Instead of just a "hump", I'm going to run the floor from the wheelwells forward, with the spare, jack, etc, under it, like an old station wagon.
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mike. you could have a built in "Pop" cooler too, with cab access! how handy for them long journeys.
Rancheros had something like that.. not the cooler, but the cab access under the floor.
Tonkatoy

Post by Tonkatoy »

running the floor forward and using it to to store the spare, now that sound much more appealing.
64 F100 CC Shortbed
CV PROJECT
64 FAIRLANE 500 4DR
MattsIASlickShop

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

that is where i put the gas tank for the smudge. no pic of it though...but it does fill the space completely.

[albumimg]85[/albumimg]