Dana 60 axle question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63f250uni

Dana 60 axle question

Post by 63f250uni »

I have a Dana 60 rear end in my '63 F250 and I'd like to change out the axle so I can change from the 8 lug to the 5 on 4.5" to match my Dakota front end (Thanks Steve and Garbz!) and also switch to disc brakes. I called Currie and they said their axles don't fit the stock Dana 60 (Currie's are too small), only their own Dana 60.

Does anybody know where I can get a stock sized Dana 60 axle with the 5 on 4.5 that accepts disc brakes?
1963 F250 Unibody
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Steve has a five lug dana 60 here at the shop but its five on five.5 for sale.

Garbz
63f250uni

Post by 63f250uni »

Garbz wrote:Steve has a five lug dana 60 here at the shop but its five on five.5 for sale.

Garbz

Is it the housing, carrier, gears, etc. or just the axle? Is it drum brakes?

Can the axles from one Dana 60 just go to another one?
1963 F250 Unibody
ELpolacko

Post by ELpolacko »

Complete, 3.54:1 Posi in good working order with the very large drum brakes.

[albumimg]656[/albumimg] [albumimg]657[/albumimg]

I removed this from a 1949 International Harvester Panel truck that a customer brought me. The axle pads have been changed but would not be difficult to re atach them. Shock mounts are still intact.
If you do need to get in touch, please use my Email at info@industrialchassisinc.com or post a message on my Facebook Page

Thank you,
Steve
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

why would you want disk on the rear anyway?

I've never really understood the need for disk on the rear of a truck. Other than ease of brake jobs that is.

The majority of braking power is going to the front anyway, so I've always understood disk rear was more for show than actual usefulness as long as you have disk in front.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I plan on putting rear disc on my '66 eventually, mainly because it looks cool I guess. :lol:

Most any current model truck comes with factory 4-wheel disc brakes, so these days it's not really abnormal. Just use an adjustable proportioning valve to get the front & rear bias dialed in right & you're good to go. :thumright:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!