63 F100 CV Swap Steering Help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Jlincks

63 F100 CV Swap Steering Help

Post by Jlincks »

In the process of doing a cv swap on my 63 F100 and need help hooking up the steering shaft. i can not find exactly what i need to make it work online anywhere. any help and pictures or links would be awesome.
Jlincks

Re: 63 F100 CV Swap Steering Help

Post by Jlincks »

I would also like to use the existing column. i know i can use a astro van column but i really don't want to do that.
William-in-St George

Re: 63 F100 CV Swap Steering Help

Post by William-in-St George »

You will need a support bearing at the bottom of the column after you remove the gear box and saw off the shaft. I saw a setup for that recently in one of the truck magazines but I cannot remember where. You could use a 65-66 column (they have the lower support bearing) and your wheel would fit the shaft. You will need to fab a filler plate over the hole in the cab floor and clamp the lower end of the column to that. Keep in mind that in an accident you will not want that column to get loose and come up. I modify the steering shaft to accept a DD U-joint. You can do this fitment with a hand grinder if your careful. I also use an oak bushing in the bottom of the column verses that flimsy plastic Ford used. Or you could just buy a nice aftermarket tilt and be done with it.
William-in-St. George