INNER COWL RUST REPAIR HELP

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

nineteensixt5
United States of America

INNER COWL RUST REPAIR HELP

Post by nineteensixt5 »

The inner cowl on my 65 F100 has some serious rust damage, the lower half is completely gone.
I need some expert advise on how to go about repairing it, a junk yard is not an option since none
of the yards near me have Slicks. I don't believe anyone makes an aftermarket version, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think I'm calling it the correct name, it is the area that is behind the side panel air vent. I am
unable to attach a picture of the part, so I hope the link works. The rusty pic is what I have to work with,
the other picture is to show what I'm talking about

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/ninet ... sort=3&o=0
http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/ninet ... sort=3&o=1

Thanks in advance.

John
bruceandersson

Re: INNER COWL RUST REPAIR HELP

Post by bruceandersson »

I took a quick look at the pics and could not tell what the close up of the rust was a picture of. The outer picture looked pretty good. I've had to remove some of the outer metal in order to gain access to the inner structure, but I live in the land of rust. Have you checked Craigslist for a replacement cab? Its a little drive but there is a guy in Hemet, CA that seems to always have parts for F100's including slicks.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

It looked like you might need the lower door post part which is below the cowl area. The inner flat part by your feet can be patched with flat metal. The cowl behind the fender where you are most worried can be cut away and repaired anyhow you like as long as it doesn't interfere with your fender lining up later. I have actually cut the part behind the fender partially off and installed tabs so it will screw back on. That way you can get in there and fix areas easier.

You can just see the removable panel on the cowl in this picture.
nineteensixt5
United States of America

Post by nineteensixt5 »

thanks Foodstick, do have any other pics of your modification and how you did it?
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I am not sure if I have any pics during the process, but this shows the removeable panel better