Has anybody used Rust Off and how were the results?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

milldinaire
United States of America

Has anybody used Rust Off and how were the results?

Post by milldinaire »

I was thinking about building a trough the width and length of the nose of my hood. Filling it with 5-10 gallons of rust off and dipping the nose of my hood in it to eliminate the rust inside the bracing area where the latch mounts. I could also use it for my grille lower rock shield and core support. I could buy a kids pool and a pump and put the pool under my cab and pump this stuff all around and in the cab to was the rust off that as well before sanding. I'd be interested in hear if anybody has used and had any results from this stuff. Thanks.
banjopicker66

Re: Has anybody used Rust Off and how were the results?

Post by banjopicker66 »

I haven't used Rust Off, but I faced the same problem with my hood. Scaly rust up inside the nose of the hood - and elsewhere.
First, instead of making a trough, I just sloshed the chemicals I used inside the nose and sides. I think it wasted a lot less that way.
I also made sure the drain "vents" under the lip stayed open. I bent them open a bit before starting.
First, I used Eastwood's Rust Converter. It chemically alters the iron oxide into something else.
Next, I used their Rust Encapsulator, using the same method. Both may have been overkill, but I want the rust to stop.

Hope this helps.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Jeremiah,
If your going to the trouble of building a trough, try electrolysis first,.

I did my intake that way and it works great.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Definitely a thought John.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've used diluted muriatic acid (at Least 20:1 water:acid) in a home built trough lined with plastic in the past. This is much less expensive and is the active ingredient in most liquid rust products. I've used the same stuff to clean gas tanks with much better results than any of the commercial products out there. What you really have to worry about when attacking the hidden rust is being able to protect it once done. Parts will flash rust very quickly once cleaned.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

best thing ive ever used for bad surface rust is called "rust mort" i cant seem to find it anymore though.. you clean surface with a wire brush and get rid of the scaley rust and the spray it on and let it sit for about 30-hour and then it has turned the rust black and stopped it.. i had a 60 olds rocket that had a ton of surface rust and after i did the rust mort i then did a little body work and painted it, to this day, when i used the rust mort still looks good, no cracks of bleed through.. this was about 20 years ago... im a believer lol just cant find it anymore...
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
fastfrankie73

Post by fastfrankie73 »

Rust mort is still made by SEM products...but it's a thinner liquid than what it used to be. It stil works well but doesn't cling to vertical surfaces as well as the thicker solution did.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

Yea ran into rust mort. Co worker told me about it. I actually bought a bottle of rust mort rust converter. I'm mainly looking for something to use to get into those hard to reach places. I use a 5 to 1 vinegar solution for my surface rust. Kills the rust in its place for 1.59 a gallon. Best stuff I ever used. Thanks for all the input fellas.
milldinaire
United States of America

Post by milldinaire »

My Avatar is vinegar water in action. Came out no rust and blackened where the rust was most prevalent.