Going to look at a 66 tomorrow

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

Going to look at a 66 tomorrow

Post by orangeRcode »

What are the areas I should look closely at for rust? I know the floors, torque boxes, bed and inside of the doors but are there other problem areas I need to look closely at? The truck has spent its entire life in central Oklahoma area so that will help some. I appreciate any input.

Thanks
banjopicker66

Re: Going to look at a 66 tomorrow

Post by banjopicker66 »

Core support along the bottom - especially under the battery tray.
The "A" pillar under the bottom hinges.
Front of the cab roof
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Thanks for the info Banjo. Didn't get to go by and look at. Busy weekend with Easter and all. Will report back once I've checked it out.

:D
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Lower rear cab corners, inside kick panels, rain gutter, center cab support and where it connects to the rocker, front of bed floor and lower tailgate are a few.
rderr

Post by rderr »

Cab support cross member. Under the drivers and pass side of the cab. These things must trap moisture because they rust out a lot. Beds are notorious for rusting where leaves and debris builds up and traps moisture. Basically follow a line directly back from the front tires under the cab. you certainly can tell where the tires kick up stuff.

Rick
rw66f100
United States of America

Post by rw66f100 »

Don't forget cab mounts, bed corners below tail lights and bottom of tailgate. Mine is from central Ok and had rust in all these areas.