Engine/ tranny help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

norville

Engine/ tranny help

Post by norville »

Folks,

I'm running into a little issue. I'm swapping a c6 for a 4spd. I have the tranny hooked up but I'm unsure how level the engine should be for the cross-member placement/height...

The engine is tilted back about 2" low and the carb is level. With it like this I cannot line up the pivot points for the clutch linkage. I "think" if I raise the rear of tranny to make the valve covers level. My linkage might line up but then the carb will be angled.

I believe this motor was from a t-bird. Do I now need to get a angled carb spacer????? Is this why the c6 was in there?? Last possibility, I have the wrong pivot brackets for the clutch arm thing. I have two frame brackets one for the wide arm and one for the narrow arm. I used the one that the holes lined up on my frame. I considered drilling new holes for the bracket on the frame to match up with the engine bracket, but I'm unsure if the engine is to be level or if I just got the wrong brackets???

please offer some input or pics if you have them.

I'm running an electric fan so I don't remember if the fan was perpendicular o the radiator.

thanks

bob
Phil

Post by Phil »

I suspect it has most to do with pinion angle.
Which in turn depends on ride hieght.

Someone here will know how to dial it in, not I
Someday I'll get another slick :(
norville

Post by norville »

Hmm, I should mention I have a 2pc driveshaft. And ride height is factory.

bob
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I assume you have an FE since it was out of a T-bird?
The correct FE installation will be the same as any F-100/250 up to '65 - '76 with a factory 352, 360 or 390. If you need parts, an FE equipped truck from those years will provide the correct transmission cross member, clutch parts, engine mounts etc.
The fan blade is supposed to be parallel to the radiator, and on my truck setups, the carb is parallel to the ground.

You might want to look closely at the engine mounts and perches, to make sure the correct truck parts were used during the swap.

You might want to consider grabbing a good front driveshaft from a 4 speed equipped truck to have cut, and use as the replacement for the existing one. You'll need another one, as the existing front driveshaft will be too short. The C-6 is longer than a 4 speed.
norville

Post by norville »

Thanks banjo,

Drive shaft I got figured out.

I think I have the engine figured out also, yes a 64 390 from a t-bird. The carb is level and the engine is tilted is what was there prior to swap.

I'm thinking the PO went Auto to compensate for the z-bar iissue. The crossmember I have will work and puts the engine in the orientation prior to 4speed swap. (just need 2 new holes)

I'm starting to think the engine mounts or the z-bar brackets are the issue.

I have two different frame brackets here and only one engine pivot. Did the engine pivots change ever?? The brackts I have appear to work with either the long or short z-bars I have.

I think I'm starting a new post about z-ar brackets. re: pivot position.

Honestly this is the biggest issue I've run into beside needing longer bolts all around.

thanks

bob
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

There were three or four different brackets (maybe more) used. depending on which engine/chassis combination you are dealing with.
Fred
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Didn't make myself too clear on that last post. I know there were at least three different engine end ball mounts, I don't know how many different frame ends there were, I spose it would depend on little car, big car, little truck, big truck, depending on where the engine sat in relation to the frame. Also, I think the Z bars were different depending on application, to get the push in the proper plane.
Fred
norville

Post by norville »

fmartin_gila wrote:There were three or four different brackets (maybe more) used. depending on which engine/chassis combination you are dealing with.
Fred

I agree I have 2 different frame bracket. neither work. The one that the holes line up on the frame the best is the one I'm using. It "looks" like I would need a engine bracket that placed the ball twords the rear of the truck. Or a frame racket that puts the ball closer to the front of the truck.

Do the balls come out???? They looks like they can be taken out but not sure how??

I'm feeling a little better that's there's 4 differnt brackets. MAybe I just need to find the correct one.

Are the engine brackets different???

bob
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

all the Fe use the same bracket. 2wd and 4x4. see the pic i put in your other thread on this.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton