center drive shaft support bearing

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

willy12844

center drive shaft support bearing

Post by willy12844 »

I have a 65 f-100 short bed, and I've been told that I should replace the center drive shaft support bearing. I can buy the bearing and mounting bracket as a single unit, but would like a little advise on removing the drive shaft and replacing it. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Thanks Bill
I have a 1965 short bed step side F-100. It has a 302 V8 in it.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Bill, this is an easy job, you will spend more time going to and from the machine shop than in removing and replacing your driveshaft! Be sure to chock the truck before starting this, and place the transmission into neutral.
1. Remove the 2 U-bolts from the transmission output yoke.
2. Remove the 2 bolts holding the carrier bearing to the frame.
3. Push the driveshaft a little to the rear to disengage the front U-joint from the transmission yoke. Be careful not to drop the caps off the ends of the U-joints (at the transmission) when the driveshaft comes down.
4. Take the driveshaft to a machine shop to press the old bearing off and the new one on.
5. Re-installation is the reverse. Be sure to line up the U-joint in the front shaft with the U-joints on the rear - this is said to be putting them in phase. They need to be aligned all together.
Good luck!
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

:iagree: Yep.
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!