A quick hello and observation about the world outside

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

A quick hello and observation about the world outside

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Hi everyone! :hello:
It's been almost a year that I admitted I would never restore my '65 and sold it on. Last I heard it was in Maryland, hopefully giving someone as much joy as it gave me. I do occasionally miss it; still the best looking trucks Ford ever made but the next one I get will be finished.

Having picked up the '93 Lightning it has a few challenges of its own though thankfully rust isn't one of them. I've been battling a detonation problem (funny...the Slick suffered the same malady) and trying to learn all about the EEC-IV system. After posting my problem on a certain Lightning forum and trying to diagnose the problem at home with the few tools and skills I have the responses have been frequently arrogant and occasionally insulting. One person just told me I should take it to a mechanic and/or buy a Honda. :roll:

It is an amazing contrast to the Slick 60s world where I've only experienced wonderful people doing their best to help others. I always said Slicksters were the nicest group of people I've ever met. Everyone's truck is viewed with respect regardless of how nice it is/isn't and everyone tries to help with a problem. I still browse the forum occasionally and follow the familiar faces on FB. I just wanted you to know I hold Slicksters in very high esteem. It is disappointing the number of similar guys in the Lightning world don't seem to exist. :( Slick 60s made owning my '65 far more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been. Keep doing what you're doing.
:clap:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: A quick hello and observation about the world outside

Post by bobenhotep »

No one here goes into super d-bag mode and says "use the search function". I sometimes go onto an Astro Van forum for answers, and I do indeed use the search function, because those folks do have trouble keeping the d in the bag. I tell the new people that this is the best forum on the internet. Good luck with the Lightning, and thanks for stopping by.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I would like to apologize for all the D-bags in the world... but I will not live that long ,nor will my yet to be born grand children.
I have been to a few other sites that have some good people whom have helped me with my 78 Cordoba IFS suspension in my 61 ford truck, without comment nor ridicule.
I am sure that if you where to ask "said" question on this forum, you might get your answer, as there is a good chance that someone has one, knows who does have one or has installed said running gear in one of our trucks.
Meanwhile, just because you sold your truck does not mean you are cured of the sickness/madness beware of relapses.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

nice to hear from you, Dwight
your always welcome here and ask whatever questions about whatever you want
dont hear much from those MAC folk anymore but i know they are still out there
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Didn't even know you'd sold your truck Dwight.. too much to keep track of I guess. Shame, I have never seen anyone shift a 3 on the tree as smooth as you, to date. Must be that racing experience. And yes I agree, next slick i get will be finished. still working on my 13 year project.. or should i say working on getting to work on it. Gooda see ya.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:D Nice to see you drop in and say G`day Dwight, I`m glad to say there is still a good number of early days guys here, and a good bunch of new ones as well
I see you on FB but it`s not as good as here and never will be........ how`s the Queensland plate going ? :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Hi Alan!
The QS plate is in the garage in a place of honour currently. Didn't fit the holes in the Jeep bumper after selling the Subaru so it is in semi-retirement. If I ever get a 3rd gen Falcon I'll put it on that and you can help me find RHD parts to change it over. :) That will probably be my next 'project' though I'm trying to avoid those until I become a 'pensioner' as you guys call it.

I sold the Slick because I had to accept I did not have the time to ever devote to fixing the exterior nor the money to have a professional do it. Very disappointing but other factors with using it to tow my race car came into play (mostly me getting older, lol) and it was time for power steering, brakes, a/c, cloth seats and a trans that shifts itself. There was only one brand to choose from and I was sorely disappointed in the Triton engined trucks so got the most powerful, good looking truck I could find. 8) Aside from this elusive detonation issue its been a good choice. Photo from last weekend after a 6 hour tow home:
I've actually been playing with motorcycles and just bought a 2008 Triumph Bonneville, a bike I've always wanted.
And I've been shopping for a 05-09 Mustang in dark blue seemingly forever...they are all either painted black or saddled with a transmission that shifts itself which I do not want in a CAR! Occasionally I do find one and then go to see it...only to find its been wrecked 13 times or something which makes me do this:
First world problems as they say. :roll:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Keep looking you`ll find one Dwight, Fergo bit the bullet and bought himself a Mussy.. look for a guy with a big smile and that's him! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
adrianspeeder
United States of America

Post by adrianspeeder »

I'd step over to fullsizebronco for pretty much anything you ever wanted to know about EEC-IV. I'm more comfortable working on those rigs than ones with carbs, but it is what I grew up with. Whenever I have an oddball OBD1 question, a search on FSB has it covered.

Adrianspeeder
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I once was in a RC rock crawler forum and passed on an idea I had.. instead of a total tear down and reset on the suspension I figured out a way to slit a foam earplug in half...slide it up in the springs and below the shock.. The amazing thing was how well it worked and even looked.

A couple minutes later some guy replies to my post

"HEY, if you can't take it apart and do it correct..possibly RC rock crawlers aren't the hobby for me"

hahahahhahahah
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

foodstick wrote:I once was in a RC rock crawler forum and passed on an idea I had.. instead of a total tear down and reset on the suspension I figured out a way to slit a foam earplug in half...slide it up in the springs and below the shock.. The amazing thing was how well it worked and even looked.

A couple minutes later some guy replies to my post

"HEY, if you can't take it apart and do it correct..possibly RC rock crawlers aren't the hobby for me"

hahahahhahahah

:lol: I wasn`t sure if you saw my post !.......... :D

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS