Painting an Engine

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

f100matt

Painting an Engine

Post by f100matt »

I was thinking about painting my 352 before i put it back in my F100 but i have a few questions.

first, can i use rust killer on the hard to reach spots that i cant grind the surface rust off...

and can i use a normal auto primer to smooth the places the old paint has flaked off or do i need something special??
-1966 Ford F100, 352, 4 speed, smoke grey, mustang buckets
-2003 Ford Ranger XL, 3.0, 5 speed
-1989 Ford F250, 460, highboy, 4x4
Phil

Post by Phil »

I generally use a die grinder with a wire wheel, a wire brush and as a cleaner $1.29 Valuecraft Autozone brake parts cleaner.

I do not use a primer. I just never looked for a hi temp one and figure if it failed it would look horrible.

I use strait Hi temp Duplicolor 1621 on my engines, so far so good.

I am having a few issues with my slick's intake though. I had a bad gas leak and it ate the paint. My Fairlane has had its share of gas leaks with no issues. Not sure what I did wrong, too much scale/rust maybe
Someday I'll get another slick :(
ghostflamed66

Post by ghostflamed66 »

What worked great for me when i painted my engine was to use easy off oven cleaner.
What i did was to steam clean engine, then taped or covered distr. and carb with a walmart bag, then sprayed the engine with the oven cleaner.
Let that sit for about 30 min then hit it with the power washer again.
It stripped all the remaining grease and paint clear down to the bare block.
I then let that dry and hit it with my engine paint.
Did this 2 years aqo and all i do is rince the engine when i wash the truck, and it still looks the same as the day that i painted it.

Hope this helps,
Wes
64 4x4 with tilt front end
65 f100
66 f100
66 ranger
66 fairlane 500
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

ghostflamed66 wrote:What worked great for me when i painted my engine was to use easy off oven cleaner.

Don't hit anything aluminum that may be on an engine (aftermarket valve covers etc).

But, just for fun, spray easy off on some aluminum foil, wad it up into a ball and toss it in the driveway (have the waterhose ready).

I know a fella that had a Corvette show car, decided to use easy off to clean it before a show and hit the aluminum valve covers on it, it etched them and turned them brown.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Sorry to hijack your post, but since we're discussing "Easy Off" I read recently that you could put oven cleaner on the exterior trim (chrome?) then buff it. Anyone tried this? Not sure what the trim is made of.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I've never used primer on an engine, either. Just a couple thick coats of engine paint. :)

Here's the last one I did...not that anyone really cares, nor is anything really remarkable...I just happen to have a pic laying around with nothing to do. :P

My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!