Most Economical Engine?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ripsnorter

Most Economical Engine?

Post by ripsnorter »

Just wanting to increase my knowledge-base a little.

What do you folks think the most economical engine is? While still having some semblance of power that is.

I'm mostly talking about Ford engines, but also curious about other makes.

I'm thinking probably a 240? 300 would have a little more power obviously, but I'd imagine the 240 would get better mileage. 223 would be another guess, but I'm not sure how much power a properly rebuilt 223 makes. Mine doesnt make much, but its pretty well worn out.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

I would put a clarifier on that question. Such as: most economical engine that can be readily put in a slick.

In terms of a mix of economy and power on demand, I think a 351w is a good choice. There are a lot of nice goodies available for the 5.8 and not all of them are aimed at wasteing gas in a mindless pursuit of power. I think an aftermarket EFI setup on a 5.8, tuned for economy might give quite acceptable economy and performance, while being atainable by mere mortals.

There are later V8 and V6 engines that are certainly producing more power and economy, but getting them into a slick would require the wiring equivalent of brain surgery.

Tragically, though my 240 is not that bad in terms of economy (and probably is/was the most economical engine offered in an F100 from 65-80) is does not give much power with it. Serves me fine, but I am not demanding (I think my Corrolla commuter car is overpowered!)
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Yeah I should clarify:

any engine that does NOT cost $10,000 just to get started on, and does NOT require turning your car into NASA space center to get running.

I'm also aware that even the best engine will be horrible on gas if youre running 5.x rearend and no overdrive. I'm figuring the engine itself, if everything else is setup properly.

By usable power I also mean the ability to pass a car or truck on a two lane road at 70 without calling the guy beforehand and scheduling a place for him to pull over.
unibodyboy

Post by unibodyboy »

I truly believe a modernized Y block is probably your best bet. Easiest to work on, and you can build a decent amount of power with a T-5 for around 4-5 grand.
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15.13
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

i really dont care what kinda mileage im getting i drive what i drive cause thats what i WANT to drive
________
mexico city hotel
Last edited by dwbr on February 6, 2011, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I would say dollar per HP and torque a carbed 302 with AOD.
EFI takes it up in cost as far as installation.

A SWB is the same weight as a Torino. My 70 wagon got 20-24mpg
It had plenty of passing power and would run the bowls dry at 130mph
It was geared pretty high though.

Parts are stupid cheap, common and there is a huge aftermarket if you want to upgrade a little from stock.

I would guess a 351 W will giv more power and tourque but you may sacrifice mileage, have odder exhaust choices and pay more for a buildup.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

:iagree:

What he said.
Stroke it out to 347, use a roller block, and you can't beat it, in the Ford world.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Phil

Post by Phil »

A poorly tuned 460 will stomp the crap out of a well tuned 351 but sure won't be economical. :lol:
Someday I'll get another slick :(