Need a pic or a measurement

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

norville

Need a pic or a measurement

Post by norville »

Folks,

Thanks for looking, I've just about finished my Tranny swap. The 65 was orignally a 3ontree then to the floor then a top shift 4spd and finally a 290 w/C6 from a 64 T-bird.

SO the tranny is swapped/ crossmember is fitted and the shaft is getting adjusted. The issue now is the z-bar linkage. The block pivot is about an 1"+ to far forward.

I have 2 different frame brackets and only one engine bracket. I also have both the long and short z-bars.

So the question to you folks.

Does anybody have a measure met for the pivot on the frame or a pics of the entire setup. I'm thinking I may have the incoeect engine bracket or incorrect frame bracket. Although I do have a known set here with the short z-bar.

I'm looking for options. I thought about redrilling the frame but it's not in a "good" spot. I also thought about bending the engine bractey but them the z-bar will be crooker.

Any thoughts/inputs are welcome.

bob
6Slick5

Post by 6Slick5 »

I don't have an answer for you, but what are you doing with the top shift 4 speed?

Thanks
Marty
65 F-100
94 F-150 (Daily Driver)
2006 Vibe (Wife's Car)
65 Karmen Ghia (Son's Car)
Iron Horse Bicycle, trying to save some gas money!
norville

Post by norville »

Sorry, I'm actually putting that 4 spd back in. And removing the c6. I'm thinking the PO had a 4spd and I6 in there and swapped both out for the 390/C6.

Looking at the engine clutch bracket it looks like if I inverted it the "balls" would line up but then the holed on the bracket won't.

bob
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

heres the best pic i have of the 390 4 speed linkage.
you need the 3 pieces from any 390 4 speed truck 2 or 4wd, engine bracket, z-bar and frame bracket.
[albumimg]565[/albumimg]
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
norville

Post by norville »

Thanks Iceman. that bracket looks nothing linke mine..

Mine is a long "L" shaped bracket that (like a L channel) with the pivot in the middle.

Both of the brackets I have are supposed to be from 65-66 trucks both look simular but I have an "innie" and an "outie" for the long or short z-bar. Either bracket would have room to add another ball.

bob
norville

Post by norville »

Ice, do you know if that bracket in the pics has one or two mounting holes and which one it is in closer to cab or radiator.

bob
imstobu

Post by imstobu »

Here are some pics of the setup on my 66 with a 352 and 4 speed. Pics are taken at night, if there is something specific or a measurement that you need let me know. This is the original setup as is from factory.

Phil

[albumimg]2766[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2767[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2768[/albumimg]
norville

Post by norville »

Phil, excellent.

That frame bracket is just like mine . It looks like you "crayon" thing is a lot shorter than mine.

If you could can you get a different pic of the engine mounted bracket? It's in a shadow. If not how does it offset twords the radiator or the rear.

thanks again to all,

bob
norville

Post by norville »

It would appear that there at least 2 different engine pivot mounts for the z-bar. One that moves the picot twords the fron of the truck. And one that moves the pivot ball twords the rear. the one I need...

I mocked up the linkage. And the engine mount is about an 1"-1 1/2" to close to the front of the truck.

Also I will need a new "crayon" At least it looks like my clutch adjustment rod is way to long.

I'll post up in classifieds.

Does anybody have this style of z-bar pivot the type that places the pivot point closer to the rear. Imagine an "L" that can place the pivot forward or rearward.

Also I've seen another z-bar like icemans.. that bar is "U" shaped I wonder if that has any advantages for headers??

Thanks
bob
imstobu

Post by imstobu »

Here are some more pics, its in a tough area for me to get a better pic. Yes it does go towards the rear if you can make that out in the pics.

Phil

[albumimg]2769[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2770[/albumimg]
norville

Post by norville »

Thanks that's what I need mine goes the other way.

How about you send me that one :)

At least I know what to look for. May I steal you pic??

bob
imstobu

Post by imstobu »

Yes, you may use my pic to help you find what you are looking for. I am getting ready to part out and scrap a 65 F-250 4x4, it has 352 with a 4speed I will look to see if it has that part on it. Its not at the house here, will take a look over the weekend.

Phil
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the 65 f250 4x4 has a different z-bar because of the steering column.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
norville

Post by norville »

Folks, thanks all for the help and input.

I went to the local j-yard and found what I needed $20 I took the entire setup from a 1ton dent.

I'll be posting some pics of the yard and let you guys drool. Shame of it is he's starting to crush them. Price of metal has gone thought he roof..

bob