cab

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63 wrongbed
United States of America

cab

Post by 63 wrongbed »

working on my 63 cab, I was wondering what kind of seam sealer to use, I cleaned off some soft black stuff and some white colored hard stuff on joints and seams, any help would be appreciated
thx James
bruceandersson

Re: cab

Post by bruceandersson »

There are different sealers for different uses. I think Eastwood did a tech article on these at one point. For those seams that are hidden, the brush on works good. For the roof gutter and the body seam at the top/back of the cab I've used a caulking gun based sealer and smoothed with a finger. 3M makes decent stuff, available at any auto paint store.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

For years all I EVER used was 3M's Heavy Drip-Chek Sealer, but when I saw a friends 67 RS/SS Camaro I had worked on YEARS earlier, the drip chek has sunken (shrunk) a TON:(
So, the next time I need to seal any seams, I'm going to open my wallet all the way and purchase one of the new 2K products (2 component, ie: catalyzed). Theoretically, a 2K product should not shrink back over time, as I experienced with the air dry Drip Chek ..........

Here's what a quick google search turned up, there are a number of options, but I will also mention that I personally am not a fan (or a believer) in putting seam sealers over BARE METAL. I think everything should get a good bath in an etching epoxy primer first:)

(But, having said that, there may be ingredients in the 2K one listed in link below for use over bare metal that would sway me, can't say for sure until I've read the mfgr's write up on that specific product. But I will say that if everything gets epoxy'd first, then seam sealed, even if for some reason the seam sealer comes away, you still have some protection from the epoxy. If you apply seam sealer over bare metal & have seam sealer come away, you will have rusty metal in short order.....)

https://www.google.ca/#q=3m+2k+seam+sealer
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i use the 3m sealer, the caulk gun tubes are easier than the squeese tube and makes a more uniform bead
it says right on the side adheres to bare sanded or primered metal.
the factory did it on bare metal
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton