Running lights

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

good2bea9
United States of America

Running lights

Post by good2bea9 »

I can not get my running lights to work on the fron or back of the truck! Turn signals, flashers, and brake lights work. I replaced headlights (one was out) and put in a new headlight switch. Does anyone have any ideas? BTW the instrument lights do not work either! Planning on driving it ot Phoenix in a week or two and I would like to have it all running right. Thanks in advance for the time and assistance.
David
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Check the fuse?
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

Check the fuse first. But, I am having issues with the old multipurpose headlight switch and think it will be replaced soon.
imstobu

Post by imstobu »

did your running lights work before you replaced headlight switch? if so, then sounds like a bad switch or connection, thats were id look first, after checking for blown fuses.

Phil
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

there is no fuse for the running lights.they work off the integral circuit breaker in the switch.the instrument lighting uses the tiny fuse in your fusebox- 3 amp i think.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Yellardawg

Post by Yellardawg »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:there is no fuse for the running lights.they work off the integral circuit breaker in the switch.the instrument lighting uses the tiny fuse in your fusebox- 3 amp i think.

if this is true then I have some irony for you. When my instrument lights weren't working, my running lights weren't working either. I changed the fuse and now they both work. Any reasoning behind this?
good2bea9
United States of America

Responses

Post by good2bea9 »

Good information. The lights worked when I took it to the body shop and after putting it all back together it did not work. No they did not work when I replaced the switch. I am changing the fuse block today to blade type fuses. I am fabricating my own fuse block and it should solve the problem. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the responses.
David
mikecarson

Post by mikecarson »

Yellardawg wrote:
ICEMAN6166 wrote:there is no fuse for the running lights.they work off the integral circuit breaker in the switch.the instrument lighting uses the tiny fuse in your fusebox- 3 amp i think.

if this is true then I have some irony for you. When my instrument lights weren't working, my running lights weren't working either. I changed the fuse and now they both work. Any reasoning behind this?

:iagree:
Mike C
64 CC, Crown Vic project
62 CC
67short 94 F150, 433W
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive body, but to skid in sideways - body worn out and screaming: Woo Hoo, what a ride!"
DanSanDiego2000

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

When I faced a very similar situation, I decided to spend the money to have an auto-electric shop solve the problem. Although spending the money did not excite me, spinning my wheels and chasing a ghost did not excite me either.
They removed my fuses, sandblasted the fuse panel, and VIOLA, my radio worked, my dome light worked, my brake lights worked, my instrument lights worked..... the truck just seemed to come back to life.
Ironically, I too had just returned from the body shop. Years of corrosion in the fuses, over-spray from painting, chemicals, dust and condensation all could have contributed, but no doubt the delicate sandblasting they did was just what the doctor ordered.
Good luck.
Dan
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Sounds maybe like a ground problem? Ground from battery to block - block to frame - block to body - frame to bed - frame to radiator support. Will solve a lot of electrical problems.
Fred
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Thinking a little about this, if it showed up after the painting, I would also be looking for too much paint or overspray anywhere a ground is.
Fred
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

mikecarson wrote:
Yellardawg wrote:

:iagree:

makes no sense but i think for the fun of it i will pull the little fuse out and see if it kills my running lights.
however....
when the circuit breaker trips in the switch, all the lights blink not just the headlights so there is obviously some interconnection.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton