Original AC from scratch?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

born4ford
United States of America

Original AC from scratch?

Post by born4ford »

Has anyone ever tried to install an original AC system using only factory, original parts in a truck that didn't come from the factory with AC? My '65 is out for paint and being bored, I decided to offer a guy on eBay $100 for an under dash AC unit. I didn't think he would take the offer, LOL. Got it and it looks to be in good shape. I found a blog http://www.classicgarageblog.com/2011/0 ... storation/ that goes through restoring the same unit. But then there is all the stuff under the hood, compressor, drier, clutch, etc. Friends keep telling me to just put in updated parts using 134A but all I can think about is how my '95 with the R12 system blows cold air by the time I hit the end of my driveway. Any thoughts?

Julie
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Original AC from scratch?

Post by Toyz »

Umm, that would be a rare US production F150! '94 was the conversion across the board for Ford. That would be the problem with trying to restore an older system; finding all the replacement parts plus the rarity and cost of R12, if you could in fact find any! I have done several systems with both the Ford or aftermarket under-dash units, and the old York-style compressors with R-134. It is not anywhere near as efficient as the newer aftermarket units, but they got the job done, even here on the Gulf Coast. The old compressors are far from efficient' and the localized output of the hang-on units leave plenty to be desired. So, yes, it can be done, even with R12; if you can find and afford it, and find someone to evacuate and charge the system. I am installing an old aftermarket under-dash unit with a factory compressor on factory mounts with a look-alike receiver/dryer and expansion valve setup. It will, however be charged with R-134. I probably have plenty of recycled R-12 to charge the system the next owner probably would not be so lucky!
again, :2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
viper driver

Post by viper driver »

Listen to your friends.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

If you don't want to use R134A, check into Freeze 12. It is equally as good as R12 and way better than R134A. I charged my Model "A" with 134A and it just worked mediocre at best. I switched it over to the Freeze 12 and it cools the car now perfectly, even in our Phoenix summers. It is slightly more expensive than 134A but way cheaper than R12.
I also have my 63 F100 charged with it and it works great.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

I couldn't quite believe that my freezing cold AC in my '95 is 134A so I took a look at the AC compressor and sure enough, you are right, Toyz. Right there on the compressor it says to use 134A. I have had 2 other vehicles that I knew were 134A, a Subaru and a Nissan and neither could compare to the AC in my truck. Why is that?

Julie
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Just a thought - new vehicles always pour heat into the heater core and just control air temp via air flow. That's why you never get really cool air through a vent in any new car. Maybe your truck still controls the flow of hot water rather than the air.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

born4ford wrote:I couldn't quite believe that my freezing cold AC in my '95 is 134A so I took a look at the AC compressor and sure enough, you are right, Toyz. Right there on the compressor it says to use 134A. I have had 2 other vehicles that I knew were 134A, a Subaru and a Nissan and neither could compare to the AC in my truck. Why is that

Julie
Without any direct knowledge; I have always thought that it had to do with the common system between the various cab styles including Crew cabs and Broncos. I do know those years work well even in the larger cabs.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul