Slicks in Print

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Truckrat
United States of America

Slicks in Print

Post by Truckrat »

fyi.gif The October issue of Custom Classic Trucks has a shortbed 66 in it. It is built like a pro street with bigger rear wheel tubs and a sort of home brewed cowl style hood.
Painted a turquoise with some weld Rodlites all around. Big ole steamrollers on back and a 429 under the hood. Anyone know this guy?
His name is David Scruggs from Moneta, Virginia. Cool truck!
Also in the same issue is a 57 F100 panel that has a ton of nice work done on it. Chopped, channeled, sectioned, pie cut hood, the whole thing. Has a dual quad 460 in it. What is cool about both of these rides is they both run big ol honkin FORDS in 'em. Not some blowtie crap. Thank God these people are finally paying attention. TR
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

I just got that issue in the mail today. Very cool trucks for sure!
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Sounds like I've gotta go buy that issue. :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Yeah there are about 3 or 4 very cool Fords in there. The green one is a little overdone for my taste but still nice. The slick has some good ideas and the panel is sweet.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Looked at it all I needed to at the Supermarket the other day. Kept expecting to see one brand x powered.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:( Dont tell me what happens in the end!, I only got septembers issue two days ago. it gets lonely out here in the wilderness :( .

Alan
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

Thanks you guys, I was wondering when someone would notice we are running more slicks in CCT than ever before.

There's plenty more to come in future issues, November and December for example.

Talk to you later.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I've emailed John a few times before - very nice guy. He is/was looking for a Slick to fix up at one time so he's definitely aware of our brand and loyalty. But it is a magazine, so you have to take the good with the bad. I think they do a great job of promoting this entire hobby well and I've gotten plenty of ideas off of what someone else did to a Chevy or other brand.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

Thanks for the kind words Max. Yeah, I am trying to keep a good mix.

You know, editors arent the guys that shove Chevys into Fords, and Buicks into whatever. The role of magazines is to present what we see out there. If there's guy with a mutt Ford at a show with a Chevy in it, and the truck exhibits enough of the qualities we are looking for it's going to end up in a magazine.

One more thing, yeah I'm still looking for a '65 or 66 short Styleside. I came across the '72 F-100 short Styleside that I'm building against Grant over at Classic Trucks in the Bumpside Build-Off for $700.00 during the time I was looking hot and heavy for a slick. The truck god works in mysterious ways, I just buy the trucks he sends me, and don't ask questions.

It's funny, I get emails all the time from rabid-morons that think Custom Classic Trucks should only have (fill-in favorite truck here) in it, and they are going to cancel their subscription, like that should strike terror in my blood.

Anyways, I've had my eye on an original owner '64 short-style for about a year now, but the grandson that has it, won't cut-loose because "he's going to restore it someday."

talk to you guys later, thanks.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

John, whether we agree with everything you publish in the magazine or not (let's be honest, NO one is gonna like em all). I would like to say we are honored to have you join our little group.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Truckrat
United States of America

Sicks in print

Post by Truckrat »

:welcome: Well........I must have been asleep because I did not know You had joined us, John. But now that I know, :cheers: welcome aboard! Do you think you could come to Slick Stock next year in Kansas City? It would be awesome to get some publicity about the Slick 60s in a national publication, and some shots of the members and the trucks that will be there. But even if you just came and hung out with us would be a cool deal. I have been a subscriber to CCT since 94, and just re-upped for 3 more. Keep the good stuff coming. TR
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i really don't care who made the truck (or customized it), i will alway pay attention to the details. i need ideas and they come from all areas of thinking. how was the core support fastened to the inner fenders? how was the wiring routed under the hood? what did they make the headliner out of? stuff like that. that's what i like to see no matter the brand name.
jmho.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

John, welcome.gif and Grant , who I had several conversations with on Fordification, seems to be a decent sort too. I had a huge issue with your publication(s) before, now resolved, as some primedia truck mags HAVE done some, almost all-Ford issues (especially Custom Classic Trucks.:twisted: )

I do need to get myself a subscription, since you guys have changed your ways somewhat from the old "Shove a SBC in it no matter what it is" days.. Congrats on doing what you can to get off the lop-sided wagon.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome you guys! Yeah, Slick Stock is a real possibility, I have to get a lot better at planning way ahead, but let's see what we can figure out. You guys know how to get a hold of me, let's see what we can figure out.

As usual I'm under the gun, I've gotta jump in my truck and go blend in with the Toyotas and fly to work. I'll talk to you guys later, and thanks again.
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

Okay, I've had 6-hours to start putting things together. It's not cast in stone, more like mud right now, but it's looking pretty good for me covering Slick Stock in CCT. In the meantime I need to line up around a dozen magazine quality slicks for features to shoot while I'm there... this means a slick in every issue for the entire year. Also I'll shoot event coverage and get the good old trucks, like most of you all drive, and maybe even some of the real mangy ones like I drive.

I'll keep you all upated, talk to you later.
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

That sounds really cool! If you want a collection of Mangy ones, between my dad and I we have three runner/drivers, three rollers and lots of slick parts! All 65-66's! I think its really cool to see a magazine guy take an interest in our favorite variety of Ford Truck! Mark
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

welcome.gif to the group John. Sence you joined our little group i guess i will send in a subscription for CCT. All of us here like to see pics. of progress being made on members trucks so dont forget to post yours.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Truckrat
United States of America

Slicks in Print

Post by Truckrat »

:thumright: Well, as Mangy trucks go, mine will probably mostly fit that catagory. I don't think it will be anything near or even within miles of "show" quality, if it ever does.
But that's ok for me, it just gives me more of a chance to make it like I want it and drive it at the same time. Besides, isn't "Patina" HOT right now? I read that story about that road trip John Gilbert made with his truck. Liked the rims and wide whites on it. Changed the whole look of it. Now................If I could just figure out a way to get one of those Gear Vendor OD set ups.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Look forward to hearing about a slick project truck.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold