Metal polishing

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shawns fords

Metal polishing

Post by shawns fords »

Anyone here do their own or farm it out to some company? I have been working on my chrome all week off and on, the headlamp bezels are tough to get smoothed out, the grille isnt to torn up. the pics i posted of it a few weeks ago was cleaned up with some glass cleaner. and all these custom cab pieces I bought from Greg havent been touched yet but I think it will become a complete winter project lol
oh if anyone does want to farm out this type of work or other stuff that needs polished or whatever I have some good friends in Tenn. that started up a great company after they lost everything in katrina down in La
here is their web site http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/page8.html
Last edited by shawns fords on September 19, 2007, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

I do all my own polishing. Got a buffer, a bench grinder with a buffing wheel, and some pretty decent polish.

Theres only so much you can polish out though. Some of it just has to be rechromed.
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

I do all mine too, but Leanna looked nice. :D
I hope business is good for them.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

wow does SHE make the Yugoslavian dood look bad that did my powdercoating. Almost worth driving down there to hand it to her in person :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

yup shes a babe alright lol, that pic makes you want to lean over the top of the computer to get a peek
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Prob. is that alot of it is brite dipped annodized alum. once the annodize deteriates theres only so much you can do. You have to get rid of the old annod. or it will only shine up so much. On Fordification theres a article about stripping it but haven't tried it myself or you could mechanically remove it and repolish it yourself. You find a anodizer and have them strip and reanod.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

There about 30 miles from us guess I need to "toot the horn" on the way by sometime.

Not worried about shiny on the slick but there's a few folks around here that are into custom/restoration/show vehicles. I will pass the word around about them.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Better toot somethin' :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

JC its as a friend used to tell me.

you ain't rite man you ain't rite. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember y'all saying the proper procedure for sandblasting was in your underwear.
Makes me wonder what the proper attire for powder coating is. :wink:
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

He ain't right, but it ain't his falt.
He lives in the great frozen north where its dark about 300 days a year, in a place where the mosquitos are bigger than the buzzards in west Texas, the women don't shave their pitts, has to drink beer brewed by Frenchmen, and can't get a decent bowl of CHILI anywhere.
(Word on the street that they make theirs out of moose meat. Talk about not being right) :shock: .
That would drive me over the edge too. :lol:
Beauty, eh?
ROTFLMBAO
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

That hair is just way too big to be proper.

I'd feel like I was in danger of being stabbed by hairs if I went within 10 feet of her.
Ford4jack

Post by Ford4jack »

I've heard the rumors of braided armpit hair and cigarettes packed in uneven numbers circulated about our neighbors to the north.

But NO DECENT CHILI !!! man that's downright scary. scared.gif
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Anodizing remover is one of the products listed.
http://bluelightning.zoovy.com/c=RUC3JQ ... wvVnQ7fS3/
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

I will check into them products Greg, thanks. I have spent alot of time on one bezel, most folks will just give up after looking it over. thats why hot rodding is dying. I almost have the bezel completed, the dings have been hammered out and the surface has been taken down from 220 grit all the way back up to 800 grit, then I repeatedly polished over and over it looks much cleaner than it did before
this is an alum bezel, I will take pics of the one I havent finished yet and the one thats finished this weekend, there are a few imperfections which I can live with. I ran out of detail towells so im finished for the evening
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

PFM in here has used their rust remover and posted pics on his site, looks incredible. I'd think if their other stuff works half as good............. Prices aren't bad on their stuff either.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ripsnorter wrote:That hair is just way too big to be proper.

I'd feel like I was in danger of being stabbed by hairs if I went within 10 feet of her.
8) Think I might take my chances. :wink:

~ JC (slipping on his powdercoating gear)

PS>>> Skip, those women that don't shave their pits.. they are in the west coast hippie colonies methinks. Washington, Oregon, Vancouver island.. in there, like.
..but even Doctor Dementia in Az gives Canadian women credit..