Straight Axle Front Dimension?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tjm73

Straight Axle Front Dimension?

Post by tjm73 »

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm doing some research on '61-'64 SWB trucks. I have always liked the body style.

I've spent plenty of time looking for a basic piece of information that seems like it would be easily found, but I have not found it and don't have access to anything to measure it myself. I've searched some threads here too and still no concrete answer.

I saw here the measurement of 62" mentioned. Not positive it's what I'm thinking about. Excuse the crude drawing, but here is what I'm after, from drum to drum.
Attachments
0622161545.jpg
0622161545.jpg (131.5 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: Straight Axle Front Dimension?

Post by shipwrecked »

I can give you backing plate to backing plate. My drums are not installed. I have a 63 swb 2wd.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I believe he wants hub flange to hub flange.
I'm thinking he is weighing the front suspension options, and comparing to original... (ie. Crownvick, Mustang II, Dakota, etc...)
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
tjm73

Post by tjm73 »

FarmMotorSports wrote:I believe he wants hub flange to hub flange.
I'm thinking he is weighing the front suspension options, and comparing to original... (ie. Crownvick, Mustang II, Dakota, etc...)
Well, yes and no. I'm thinking about buying a 61-64 and lowering it with a dropped beam (Sid's) and maybe dearched leafs (Detriot Spring) with F150 disc brakes. I am also considering a Ranger IFS (not twin I-beam) subframe swap. They are 59.5" wheel mount to wheel mount. Which I believe to be narrower than OE but have no idea by how much.

I am also considering an underslung t-bucket kind of car with a 61-64 front axle setup.

The backing plate to backing plate dimension will work if you can also tell me how much the drums add to it.

Thanks guys.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Inside the hub to the inside the backplate is about 2.5 inches. each.

Here is an old photo of when I took the brake drum off. It was close to 2.5" but I can't find the photo in my photo bucket.
The from backplate to backplate about 57 inches.

so 2.5" + 2.5" + 57" = 62". Thats what I have on a 1963 F100 straight axle.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

On my 63, I have disc brakes , the measurement is appx 60" from surface to surface, its been nearly 15 years since drums, but I seem to remember the disc brakes narrowed the measurement about a half inch on each side, so stock drum would be right in the 61"-62" range just like said above...

Robert
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I have an ~ 1999 Ranger SLA (Short Long Arm w/rack & pinion, as opposed to the earlier trucks, which were twin I beam) front clip sitting in my back yard, I went out & measured WMS-WMS (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface), and got something around ~58"-58-1/8". I cannot say how much, if any this might change if it was a complete vehicle with drivetrain sitting at it's static ride height.....

Some day, when I have the wheels off my '08 Ranger XLT Ext Cab, I will measure it, but that probably won't be until I go to put my winter rubber on in late Oct or early Nov.

HTH
James
tjm73

Post by tjm73 »

SLA Rangers have a spec track width of 58.6"/57.3" F/R and the wheels they come with have an offset of +12mm. Since track width is to the middle if the tire we can add 12mm+12mm+58.6" and get a disc to disc measurement of 59.55
robertrpeak wrote:On my 63, I have disc brakes , the measurement is appx 60" from surface to surface, its been nearly 15 years since drums, but I seem to remember the disc brakes narrowed the measurement about a half inch on each side, so stock drum would be right in the 61"-62" range just like said above.
Did you do the F150 disc swap? I read they do reduce the measurement 1/2" per side.
shipwrecked wrote:so 2.5" + 2.5" + 57" = 62". Thats what I have on a 1963 F100 straight axle.
Awesome! Very detailed. Thanks.
Last edited by tjm73 on June 28, 2016, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

I didn't use the 150 stuff, I had caliber brackets custom made, use mid 70's GM calibers and the rotors are from 1979 Ford Wagon, did it this way so I could have the 5-41/2 bolt pattern.

Robert
tjm73

Post by tjm73 »

I found this article on using F-150 front brakes a year or so back and bookmarked it.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ins ... 1964-f100/

A part of me thinks that if I do buy a 61-64 I want to keep it rolling on the OE straight axle. A lot less re-engineering and it will retain it's character. But I can still have disc brakes with the big ford pattern,