64 F100 standard tilt wheel donors? GM style ?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61sleepercab
United States of America

64 F100 standard tilt wheel donors? GM style ?

Post by 61sleepercab »

I bought a 1964 Ford F100 standard transmission Frankenstein truck with a Mercedes Benz OM314 4 cylinder diesel shoe horned in for a repower. The swappers put in a GM style steering column with a straight tube out to the firewall and u joints on a shaft to a GM? power steering box. The problem is that the steering wheel is too far into the cab s installed and there is no way a grown man can fit behind the wheel. I surfed the web and this site for specific donors columns to put in the cab.
QUESTION WHAT TILT WHEEL STEERING COLUMNS WILL FIT IN A STANDARD TRANSMISSION WITH FLOOR SHIFT? What have you used that went in well?
LM14
United States of America

Re: 64 F100 standard tilt wheel donors? GM style ?

Post by LM14 »

Flaming River or IDIDIT. You can get plain steel tilt, no shift pretty reasonable. DO NOT get one of the no-name off shore copies. The offshore stuff has plastic joints in the tilt and have been failing at a pretty serious rate. Price an Ididit and use that for comparison when shopping. I like the Ididit over the Flaming River but it's close.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ididit-11 ... 38002.html

You can get several different lengths to fit your situation.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

Thanks for the info. i may have to do a custom set up as the steering box may be Mercedes Benz as the pump and bracket seem to be OEM stuff from a MB donor truck. The present column is a straight GM set up from an older truck and goes too far into the cab and is too long inside the firewall using the original floor hole. This puts a big angle on the steering shaft and does not fit well. I hope to use some other stock column like a 1990's Jeep Cherokee which is a GM style unit. I will post what I do when I figure it out. Thanks for the input. Mark
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

You can make a 78, 79 Ford pick up tilt column fit and the good thing is it has no key in the column. I used one on my 56 F100 big window.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

Thanks for the info.