my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

foodstick

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by foodstick »

I did a set in white and put vinyl red letters in the letter indents.. Liked em ...
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

my rims are "red baron" red...

No white on the truck anywhere.

decisions decisions.

I am also looking at buying a monstaliner kit in black to coat the frame. I painted it in black a year ago, and it's bubbling and pealing already. If I paint it in the monstaliner, which is like a bed liner material, it may hold up longer.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Your putting a lot of labor into that body work.
A dark color shows off that work
So I vote dark.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Just looking at the photo of the stick, is it possible that the paint will dry darker?

I like the red against the charcoal grey myself, without any inserts in the hubcaps. Although the two-tone you drew up previously would look very much like a scheme you might see on an earlier F-1 pickup where the front and rear fenders and running boards were black.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Haven't been to WaWa in years!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Went back to the paint store after I dropped Diesel Dawg off for a bath/ groom.

Paint store guy put some more black in the paint for me (free of charge) and it darkened it up a shade. I am fine with it now!

Got a lot going on in that photo. You got the hub cap and the new darker paint can lid/ paint stick.

You got my hood hinge painted in the "medium" which is what that paint stick sitting to its right is. The piece of angle is actually just epoxy. I noticed it was the same color and I didn't like that.

Anyway, I got the paint tinted darker.

Put the base color into smaller 1quart cans from the gallon can. I keep spilling the gallons cause they don't have handles on them, I have tendonitis in both wrists and I just am not good at pouring paint. I am an engineer..... A deckie can tell an engineer that there are a 100 million stars in the sky.. and we will believe him. A deckie telling an engineer there is wet paint.... we need to touch it to be sure.

This cab corner is pissing me off!

block sanding down to 180 all over.

stopped a little short of completion in 180 cause I was getting a head ache from lack of food/drink. I just got going on this thing and didn't realize 6 hours went by.

Tomorrow I will finish up the blocking on the inner fenders, put some epoxy on the few bare metal spots I went into- and recoat everything with high build. Then start the block out to 220.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

It's looking great!
…and this is why I'm never painting a car or truck again…
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Quote: "This cab corner is pissing me off!" unquote. April, when I was in the Air force, I used to tell my guys. "Don't get pissed, reenlist".
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Lol Michelle, I'm at my last enlistment. I can go more, but I'm committed up to 21 years.
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Your putting a lot of pride in this build, it really shows!
Gonna be something to show and be proud of.

Carry on. 8)

Randall
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Literally ground hog day with todays events.

Started by guide-coating the cab in prep for sanding to 220.
I started sanding, but found I was needing the glazing putty.

I took a quick trip to the Biglots and got some cleaning supplies, but also had a quick stop to Rite Aid. While I was in the store, an old lady got in her CRV, backed out of her spot and creamed my truck. She hit exactly in the same spot I just had fixed from the bumper bender a few months ago. She tried to drive away and not leave any info- knowing full well she hit me. I called the cops and yelled at her to come back. She did= but she wasn't very nice about it. She was a bit hostile and couldn't understand why a paint job for a bumper would be so much money

I drove up to Egg Harbor Township and bought the glazing putty. I also stopped at Harbor Fright and got a temporary garage thing. It was a broken box sale- for 200 normally, I got it for 128. I am going to set it up in the back yard behind my current garage and put the cab/chassis inside it when I get done painting it. It is 10x17 foot with door.

Here is the roof- back of cab.

Sanding sanding sanding.

Cleaning pixies needed here.

Did do a little picking up though

tomorrow I will continue to sand the cab at 220. I need to re-coat in high build.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I use a couple of simple cheapo box fans with cheapo throwaway furnace filters on the intake side. Helps pull all that fog out of the air and makers a huge difference on dust control. Won't clean-up the mess you've already got though! :lol:
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Yeah thats my plan bird. I have three box fans I got on sale at Big Lots last fall. I want to build a small 2x4 panel for the bottom of my garage door. It will hold the box fans allowing the garage door to close down on it.

I bought a tailgate today :shock: I have been wanting to buy one for months, but I kept putting it off. Well... I pulled the trigger.

Now to decide where to set up the temporary garage in the back yard.

been sanding the rest of the cab at 220 all day. I went to the hardware store and bought some eye bolts and washers. Will use my cherry picker to do the lifting, but I am going to set up a frame on the inside of the cab to allow me to pick it up later this week and put it on my truck frame.
I don't want to put any color on the cab till I am ready with the door gap. I gotta figure out what the hang up on the driver door is.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

And todays adventure.... more sanding. I finished sanding the cab in and out with 220.

Then re-coated the cab with high teck primer.
I will let that dry overnight and then sand some more. But to be honest I am getting burned out on sanding! I have seriously sanded this cab for like 5 days straight.

I need to assemble the HF garage shelter in the back yard. I need to wash/wax the F150. I did all the house cleaning the other morning so there isn't much of that to do. Back to work on monday!

I went to the hardware store and bought some eye bolts. I will try using those through the floor holes to lift the cab up. I can't seem to get the guys from work to be able to come over and help. There are just too many variables with life here at this job.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Definitely believe you on the endless body work and sanding ! Its the price you pay to make it nice..and do it yourself.

I swear I worked off and on with my hood on my 64 for nearly two weeks ! I would just get tired of it and walk away.. The way you have a high focus on it now is going to payoff if you can keep at it.

Heck .... I quit working on my trucks quarters 2 or 3 times just because I hate to add an ounce more of putty than I needed. So I would end up a hundred small applications when I should have just laid it on 2 or 3 times ;)

I just always felt like I was cutting corners doing putty work instead of metal skills. I did end up keeping the putty level low on my truck, and I used that aluminum type putty instead of plastic... but I payed for it in time and expensive putty..

Keep after it !
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I have to agree, your in hot pursuit and keeping focused. I thought my truck was hard, but as I look back my truck was pretty straight and didn't require a lot of body work. I have no doubt that your truck will be near perfect when you get finished.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Michelle, I read your thread and it seemed like it was not a challenge. Hahaha now I know the behind the scenes events. It's a lot. I had this whole week off work to do this job and I am about where I want to be now. I am debating on what to do today. It's October, I have that HF garage shelter and the winter is headed this way. I may just assemble it.

I've not decided on what to do with the frame yet. I bought a Monstaliner kit to paint the frame with. It's a bed liner material. Let's face it, this truck isn't going to be at Barrett Jackson to the concours. It's goi g to be a driver vehicle. Nothing special. May hit some car shows here and there.

I'm going to need to repainted the rear leaf springs. I used a different paint from the front ones, and you can tell. So I will make it look right.

Hope my neighbors and landlord don't mind me being the neighborhood Sanford and sons.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Today;s adventure... Didn't get moving till around 1000. Its the last day of my vacation and I wanted to snuggle with the pups.

I had bought a china freight 10x17 garage shelter a few days ago. The "open box special" but everything is in there etc.

I got it all out of the box and saw I was missing some stuff. Ratchet straps, rope, base plates for the feet. Not really a big deal- got ratchet straps and rope already.

I was missing one of the dome pieces though. I ended up going to lowes and buying a piece of electrical conduit in a 90* and a pvc T. I put the two together and made the part I needed. I got over 100 off on this deal- not a huge deal breaker that I needed to spend 10.00 to make this work.

Doesn't take long to fill up an empty storage container.

I spent the better part of the afternoon doing that shelter build.

Anyway, I did some more sanding on the cab roof. I am using 320 now.
I stopped cause I spent like two hours on this. I just taking it slow. I get distracted easy too.

tomorrow I am back to the daily grind.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Today after work I did some more sanding. Finished sanding the roof, cowl area and windshield pillars. I sanded part of the dashboard as well. Will climb inside the cab tomorrow morning before work.

I sanded the back of the cab. It is smoother than the day it was painted on the assembly line in January 1963!

I need to start wearing a full on respirator. This dust mask is shit.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Nice work!

I've been guilty of grinding and spray painting with a cheap mask - we all need to be more careful with our lungs. My buddy who helps me with my truck had a double lung transplant a few years ago, and he says I should try to avoid it if I can.

I looked at plans today for an air filtration system. My dad made one for his woodshop years ago, but I think it would be nice to have in the garage where I work on my truck to keep the dust from settling on everything.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/proje ... ubber-trio
1966 F250 LWB