what do yall think bout this?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

what do yall think bout this?

Post by 61ford »

as my uni is finally getting welded back together theres very little that is gonna need to be blasted on the bottom side only the rollpan couple parts of bedside and underneath the cab would i be alright far as the rust to hit it up with por-15 and then go over the top of that with a bedliner?i know the por-15 is suppose to kill the rust ive used it on the frame but im just wanting to make sure bc i dont want to have to restore this truck down the road you know what i mean?i thought it should work great just wanting to get some more opinions
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

you should read on the POR15 website, some of their products arent UV protectants and some are, if you use it on something that will get sunlight then youll have to coat over it with either paint or one of their top coat systems, yes its a great product, as far as doing the inside of your bed I would have it done via lineX or rhino, or something compatable to them, for durability purposes, I actually have Bed rug in my work truck, its non corrosive and cleans easy wont stain and wont scratch

I wasnt quite sure if this is the answer you are looking for.
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Do it right the first time -- blast it clear of all rust and then paint.

I am really hesitant to try any of the spray or roll on bedliner products. EVERYTHING will fail eventually -- most newer pickups will go to the crusher LONG before the Linex or Rhino coatings fail.

But our trucks, the few that have made it this far, are likely to continue to be fussed over and fixed up for decades, especially if you are doing a good job today. I would shudder to imagine what it will take to remove linex that has developed a few leaks with bubbles of rust under it in those spots. It would still adhere elsewhere. Nightmare.....

A coat of paint and a rug over it (that is litterally what I use when I want to use the bed to carry something) will look great and eventually, when the paint gets a chip or a little rust trys to come out, you can sand or blast that area and repaint. You cannot sand blast Rhino linings.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
61ford

Post by 61ford »

im not talking bout the inside of the bed the bottom side of my truck my complete bed is getting cut out all the floor new torque box new wheel tubs and the bed floor is just gettin painted and maybe a show deck thats why i was asking bout just coating the bottom side of the truck with por15 and a bedliner did the frame rails with por15 and was getting some feedback bout the bottom side of the body what everyone thought
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

thats what por15 is for, it neutralizes any rust, cant get into them tight spots with a sandblaster. and its a horrible mess to clean up, you wont have any problems with the por15 for underneath your bed and it can be diluted to run through a sprayer for tight corners. and you only need to remove loose scales. so far everything ive used por15 and KBS coatings on has lasted and is durable. its all in prep work, making sure you follow the instructions. ive seen so many people do this kind of work and have problems because they didnt prep the job correctly. after all thats what is most important to making sure the surface is etched when you paint. the nice thing about por15 is it adheres to the rusty metal and neutralizes the metal, rust is just water molecules embedded into the metal. anyways, I hope you try it out and it works out for you
here is a pic of por15 on my straight axel its been on it a year now
Last edited by shawns fords on September 25, 2007, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I've had mixed results with POR.

I used their metal ready and marine clean, cleaned the stuff thouroughly and had it peel off in sheets. It was on rusty metal. I find its complete garbage on painted surfaces or clean metal.

I just did my bed insides with it and I am ignoring the UV effects-It gets cloudy and dull. Ill bedliner it later after I bang out some dents

So far its staying on.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
Z-MAN

Post by Z-MAN »

I used it and it worked great for me. Wear some gloves though :) .

Z
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator takes care of the rust too, it's UV safe though.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
FORDMANLCRACKEL
United States of America

Post by FORDMANLCRACKEL »

I've used the Eastwood brand also, it works real well plus it withstands high temp. to.

Lonnie
The most rewarding job i ever had was being a dad.
1988 Ranger Build http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... %20RANGER/
unibodyboy

Post by unibodyboy »

I took everything off the frame, sandblasted the hell out of it(with fine grade sand, for a smooth finish) and then powder coated the entire thing. I don't think i'll have any rust problems. You might be able to get away with covering up and hiding rust for a while, but it's my opinion that it's gonna come back someday..... better be safe than sorry..
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15.13