my shipwrecked '63

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '63

Post by SteveCanup »

I used to take brake drums to have them 'turned' in years past....it is a lost "art (?)" so to speak. It's hard to find a good machine shop anywhere any more. Everything is designed to be discarded and replaced when worn out or used up.
1964 F-100
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Today I finished that grueling swim challenge at work. A total of 34 miles (1122 laps of a 25m pool). Got my free t-shirt!

I am a bit hypothermic the last two days and getting a crud cold too. I didn’t want to work in garage today as it’s 18* outside and only 25* with a heater on in my garage. I decided to tackle a small project while I sat inside the nice warm TV room.

Remember this is what it looked like in 2012.

Pulled the box off the shelf.

Took a little alcohol to wipe dirt off.

Got a small jar of orange.

Reassembled

All i need is one of those small cardboard tubes. And to replace the red lens on top. Mine is burnt and you can not see light thru it. Transparent red plastic sheet coming from amazon this week.

Felt a little like Danny Davito in Matilda- I didn’t use a drill... I just did it by hand.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Friday night, I fell asleep while writing this, and of course it erased- so here is take two.

I started installing more of the brake lines and found the u-line kit I have doesn’t work with the cross member under rear of engine. I tried a few different ways to make it work and ended up cracking the line. My flare kit isn’t strong enough to do stainless.

Trip to Napa and a 60” piece of brake line later I’m back in business.

How and I going to match the two front brakes? I need a block or distribution block to hook the two together and allow me to run it up to the master cylinder. The t I have has a AN fitting on it and of course that won’t work here.

From under the engine looking up driver side.

Insert Homer Simpson drool voice.

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

April, not sure where your an fittings are but to split the front on mine I used the distribution block that came with the brake unit. the block splits into two front lines and a rear line. If you do not have a D block use the four way it came with.. go to auto parts store and buy one flare plug for the block.. buy a female female union for the rear line unless your kit is long enough for the rear line to reach the. master.
I just soaked the four way block over night in vinegar then used a light touch on my wire wheel to make it look like new. You can also buy a brass T if the block is unusable, take a male fitting with you.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Did you all know that Home Depot (at least here) doesn’t sell 7/16” bolts? Ours doesn’t sell anything but the more common sizes. I did go over to Lowe’s and find exactly what I needed.

I needed those two 7/16x1” bolts to instal the clutch link bar. I wanted to be sure I had that installed so 8 knew where not to run the vertical brake lines to the master cylinder. This seemed like an all day affair to only get 4 bolts installed.

I messed up one of the sticks of brake line and need to replace it. Maybe by tomorrow I will have them finished.
Two steps forward, three steps back.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

It doesn't surprise me about the HD not having 7/16" bolts.

If you have a Tractor Supply close by, check them out. I seem to have more bolts,nuts, washers for my dollar spent, when I leave there. They have grade 8 bolts too and they sell by the pound.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Like this project never gonna end!

I spent some time in the freezing garage today running brake line.

All lines are bent and tightened. Now I just need to install a few line clamps to keep the chafing down due to vibration (when ever this bad boy gets back on the road)

See you in January!

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Fighting the weather in my garage. Not as bad as some y’all have it but it’s Bitch’n weather when your arthritis is kicking in.

I spent the day cleaning up the garage some after I found a dead snake in my garage.

Itty bitty garter snake, but big enough for me to wan5 to burn down the house.

So I’m fighting the clips that hold the brake hoses to the frame. I have destroyed the horseshoe clip that came with the hose... it’s still too loose in the hole of the frame. I suspect someone opened up that hole larger in the past. But then again, I had a hell of a time removing those hoses two years ago. There was a different fitting there (like a larger swagelock style I use in hydraulics).
This got me thinking after I failed at getting the NPD horseshoe clip to stay on. Those are labeled for 66-90 bronco by the way.

So a trip to a few parts stores and Home Depot and Lowe’s... I came up with 3/8 NPT is the exterior of that hose fitting in which your 3/16” hard line screws into.

So what I did was buy two 3/8”npt flare fitting nuts and I will take a grinder cutoff wheel and flap disc to it tomorrow to allow for it to lock the hose to the frame. I could buy a lock ring online I’m sure....

Anyway. I’m freezing and have to work tomorrow. See ya.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Took the grinder to the fitting and cut off a chunk. Smoothed it off with a quick trip of the flap disc.

9/16 washers I took a dremel to open up a tiny bit more.

Here it is installed. Nice fit!
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Trying to get the garage to warm up a bit so I can go bench bleed the master cylinder, bleed the brakes and adjust the pushrod. We have been getting dumped on by snow since 9pm last night. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 0200 to a few inches of snow.
At 0900; a tree limb hit the house. What is it with me and trees!? This thing is about 15 feet long.

I got this wild machete, axe and knife combo as a white elephant gift... I only wanted the sharpening stone out of it. The package was more dangerous than the knifes.

While I wait, I am looking at the old wire harness and the new one. About a year ago I bought a 12 circuit E-Z wire kit to instal in my truck. If you are running power everything, this won’t work for you. You would need more circuits. My truck doesn’t even have a radio currently.

Bought these small 4” vintage looking fog lights off eBay. I am considering mounting them under the rear bumper area as reverse lights. Since I don’t have any to begin with. It’s just a thought.
So while my garage warms up, I will stay toasted inside looking at the old wire harness.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I wanted to start bleeding the master cylinder last night, but the brake bleeder kit that came with my master cylinder only had one of the required fittings. :cussing: The city workers had been out in the day to clear snow and salt the roads...

Look at this: someone lost their plow off a city truck.

This morning the roads were sheets of 1” ice!

I made it to the auto parts place and got me this.

And here it is started bleeding the brakes with a mityvac.

I had to stop three times and fix leaks.

I had a bad female/female union. I had a spare so I replaced it. I also ended up replacing the rear line from MC to the T because I thought it was bad before I found it was the union.

I still need to finish bleeding the brakes. It was so cold I came in three times thru the day to have the pups sit on my feet or cuddle to help warm up.

So while bleeding brakes.... I would sing a few verses of “tiny bubbles” modified to brakes. but now I’m singing tiny bubbles in my beer, makes me happy, makes me wanna cheer”.

I need to go get another bottle of brake fluid.

* separate question from brakes... I’m looking at my bulkhead connectors that we’re in the firewall. There are a few rectangle ones that connect the light systems, and one that connects the ignition(when I first got the truck, smoke was let out of the wire in this batch).

Anyway, for those who replaced their wiring harness. What did you do to fill the rectangular holes? I thought about using those same fittings but cutting all the wires out, and drilling out a round hole big enough to fit the bundled wires thru it.

Ideas?
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I went out to the garage with a plan... like always, it kicks my butt.

Bled the front left brake no problem. I had some minimal leaks when I started back up this morning but I tightened them and bleeding began.

I moved to the front right and was doing okay then all of a sudden nothing! Like a clog, collapsed hose or out of fluid. I was fine on fluid but nothing was coming out.

Frustrated I just went and worked on the rear brakes a little. They bled out no problem.

Back to the front right. Remember this is a split system, the rears aren’t plumbed with the front so skipping to the rear didn’t hurt anything.

Tried several different methods to bleed this brake cylinder. Finally I just opened the system and isolated the issue. I checked the line. Had fluid and good flow thru that. Checked the hose with the male end still attached to the wheel cylinder.. nothing Pull the hose- no problem. Good free flow. SO now I’m down to the wheel cylinder...nothing... pull the entire th8ng from the drum and see what I see?

The internal piston is jammed. No debris, no sludge, no movement.

I bought these from National Parts Depot. Brand new Wagner part straight out the box. I’d say it’s defective. I need to call them and see if they will refund or replace. What a pain. The internal pistons compressed on that spring and it closed off the bleeder hole. The spring couldn’t overcome the jam.
Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Glad that you found the problem, although it is a pain when you have that type of problem. Excellent troubleshooting logic by the way! I wonder if the part sat on a shelf somewhere for long enough time to seize up. If you get another one, you might want to open it up and insure that the piston moves freely. You might be able to get the one you already have loosened up and usable. I couldn't tell from the pics how bad it was, but if you put some lightweight oil around the cylinder walls and let it run down to the piston and see if it works loose. It's possible that it might just need to be loosened up. That's just a thought...
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

I own a small garage and you won't believe the defective new parts you get anymore.i got a stuck wheel cylinder(wagner)about 3 weeks ago.i got a bad napa t stat just Wednesday.napa used to have a really good line of parts.they were more expensive but good.the only thing napa I use a lot of now is clutchs(luk brand).I don't car what part store you deal with it's going to happen anymore.i got 3 bad power steering pumps from 2 stores for a ford Taurus and eventually had to go to a pick n pull yard and get a good one.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I’m SOL till tomorrow after work. That’s the earliest I can possibly have a replacement wheel cylinder. That’s if I buy one from NAPA. The closest place that has one is in Richmond VA. (1 hour drive)

Come to think of it, I suspect this was known to be a defective part when I got it I just didn’t follow thru on my gut. The box was crushed a bit like it was tossed in the trash. The plug covering the bleeder screw was missing, it did t have the copper ring like it was supposed to. And there’s was a little dark line of dirt on it.

The front left cylinder was clean, in the box with the proper plug. No copper ring like it should have.

I guess I put in a part that someone probably cleaned off and sent back to NPD. Their return policy states no used parts may be returned. Of course office is closed until tomorrow (Monday) so I can’t even talk to anyone.

So... do I drive the one hour each way and pick it up? Hmmm.... ( on edit... scratch that... they aren’t open right now)

Also, buying Weather pack connectors online to work on my wire harness. Those won’t be here for another week.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Took the time this morning to change out my hood hinge that was jammed open, I bought a pair from Dennis Carpenter a few months ago. But didn’t change them out as I wasn’t sure how 8 could do it without help. I figured out a way to do it in this tiny garage. I hooked some cargo traps up to the hood and to the overhead. Clinched them up and took the bolts out of the hinge one at a time. Each and every turn I secretly wished I had a boyfriend to help- or if Diesel my dog could have thumbs to handle the hardware.

So if you buy new hinges, and hadn’t thought they changed the captive nut from the original you should check first before you get it in there’s and try to jam a fine thread bolt into the captive nut at the bottom of the hinge. They put course captive nut in there.... ugh. :cussing: was a pain in the butt!

I still need to do the passenger side, but I am chilled to the bone shivering right now. I also have to climb inside the cab, reach my arm up into the cowl with a wrench and have someone on the enginebay side take the nut out. Remember I had a bad captive nut and didn’t spend the money to replace and forgot about it.

For now, YouTube watching, google surfing and pups cuddling as I try to warm up.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: my shipwrecked '

Post by shipwrecked »

Today felt so off because I couldn’t do the job I’ve been wanting to button up for a while.

After freezing my bum off in the garage working on that one hinge, I did some searching online about electrical stuff, and decided to finish the gauge panel. Back in the other post, I did t mention that the faded burnt plastic bothered me, nor the missing cardboard cup for the red light. Nor the rusted gauge relay. I had ordered all the material to fix those items but they didn’t come in till Wednesday. Tonight between pup dinner and mine, I put it all together.

Notice a few things different about the relay.

The ignition post was moved to the opposite side and also the hold down tang doesn’t fit like the original style. I bought this part from Dennis Carpenter.

Alright, I took the old burnt plastic cups off the light indicator porthole.

I got this craft cello plastic sheet pack from amazon, and doubled up the green thickness and taped it on with shipping tape.

Did the same with the red but quadruple thick.

Put a cardboard tube inside the panel behind the plate at the red light porthole.

Assembled it all again and here we are!

Last edited by shipwrecked on May 19, 2018, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

That's looks great...it's the details that make it look good. I had to do the exact same thing to mine.
1964 F-100
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

April, just a suggestion, but accepted procedure for brake bleeding is to start at the most distant point of each system. It wouldn't help the defective part, but sometimes it can certainly speed up the bleeding process.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Got the new wheel cylinder in from Napa on Monday. Installedit on Tuesday after work. Bleed brakes this evening again and it bled pretty quickly with little trouble. I had to tighten a few fittings again but all is well so far. I used a mityvac system to draw a vacuum to bleed them, and tomorrow morning I will use the one man bleeder bottle to test the brake pedal.

If all goes well that will be buttoned up before noon.

What will be net for this three day weekend? I can start running wires for mock up. My kit from weatherpak will not be here till next week.

I may pull the head off the engine and maybe get that freshened up for valve lashing, installation of other needed items too.

Need to plumb the fuel lines from tank to fuel pump, but not sure how large they need to be. I assume 1/4 or 5/16.?