The Big, Red, Longbed Sled

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

texastoast_
United States of America

The Big, Red, Longbed Sled

Post by texastoast_ »

In November of 2016 i found this old turd on Craigslist. After a couple weeks, and a lot of help from friends in the area, i made the 100 mile trip into the country and picked it up.

For what i think was a good deal (subjective, i guess) i was the proud new owner of a title for a '63 F100 Longbed Flareside. It had the special order option 262 I6 and a Borg Warner T86 w/R10 OD (which i would learn eventually was totally fried).

The truck pretty much sat for a little over a year. I did small cosmetic and maintenance things like swapping mirrors and oil changes. Nothing groundbreaking. I had just gotten engaged so my (now) wife and i were in full wedding prep mode.

After the honeymoon, i was fully committed. I spent a few months scouring the interwebz looking for information and parts to get started.

Eventually, a family friend hit me up with a deal i couldn't pass up, a fully rebuilt '66-ish Mustang 289 mated to a C4 trans.

Ok then, i know where to start. I spent about a month or so tracking down a Crown Vic K Frame. After looking all over Texas and eBay, turns out a salvage yard 15 minutes away had exactly what i needed... lesson learned. For $350, i picked up a Police Interceptor K Frame with all the bits and pieces.

Now, i'll spend the next month or so collecting the final touches for the motor and trans and then let the games begin.

I have a lot of plans for this thing throughout the year. I'll be updating all the progress here for anyone who's interested.
'63 F100 Longbed Flareside
Mr. Jones

Re: The Big, Red, Longbed Sled

Post by Mr. Jones »

Xxx :welcome: From Kansas City.Nice looking 63,keep us updated.....
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Nice! Let’s see some
More
Of this truck!

I’m particular to the flaresides- I’ve always loved them.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Subscribed!
1964 F-100
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Welcome from East Kansas.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
texastoast_
United States of America

Post by texastoast_ »

Thanks for the warm welcomes, all!

While i have some people's attention, does anyone have recommendations for 1: power steering pump to work with the 289 and CV front, and 2: I'm curious about the needs for a new master cylinder and brake booster. Whats the common choices here?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

From what I have seen and read, if you are going with a Crown Vic IFS, try to use the power steering pump and master cylinder/brake booster from a Crown Vic. But then again, I'm not an expert on the Crown Vic stuff. I researched it and was turned off by the fact that it is too wide. I like my 'deep dish' wheels on my truck. You might want to research the Jaguar IFS. I installed one on my '64 F-100. The Jag IFS is within 1/2 inch of the original width of the Ford. I purchased mine, complete with power steering pump and hoses, for $300. I spent another $150 on two Borgeson joints to connect the steering and $40 for wheel spacers to keep my Ford bolt pattern. Rides excellent, handles excellent and lowered my truck perfectly.
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Welcome from N.W. Ohio. I'm in the middle of a frame off on my 66 flareside. I like my flaresides.
texastoast_
United States of America

Post by texastoast_ »

So, i'm thinking of going with a saginaw style PS pump. They're just so clean with the integrated res. I know they typically run a couple hundred PSI higher than stock Ford pumps, so if i go with a reducer valve, would that cut it for the power steering? I'm looking at these parts for my pulleys/ PS pump.

https://www.cvfracing.com/saginaw-p-ser ... way-shaft/

https://www.cvfracing.com/ford-289-302- ... -steering/

And if necessary: https://www.cvfracing.com/saginaw-p-ser ... e-800-psi/