Rocker oil inlet and outlet tubes

Looking for a part? Let us know what you're looking for. Surely someone out there has an extra...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63Slick

Rocker oil inlet and outlet tubes

Post by 63Slick »

I am looking for the two rocker oil tubes for a 1963 223. The ford part numbers are C1AE 5580-B and 5588-B.

The parts are obsolete and I have checked Kama and Dennis Carpenter where it was indicated that several are available but they did not have any left.

They were gunked up and bent and the O-ring on the inlet tube was hard and would not come out of the head. I proceeded, against my better judgement, but overcome with impatience, to pull the head off the block by myself and bent them up even more and kinked the tube. I'm not a smart man sometimes.

I'm located in Louisiana (70592) if anyone has the parts and wants to pre-calculate shipping.
63Slick

Re: Rocker oil inlet and outlet tubes

Post by 63Slick »

Update and an FYI: In case anybody runs into the same issue - I couldn't find the tubes anywhere! They are out of production and there is no old stock, even though a couple places indicate they have a few.

I found an identical engine (223) within driving distance so I bought it and a Borg-Warner T98 for $250. So far I've harvested the tubes and a flywheel inspection cover that was also not available anywhere.

I've read parts for the 223 are getting harder to find.
bird55
United States of America

Re: Rocker oil inlet and outlet tubes

Post by bird55 »

you are correct. They are harder to find. But you did the right thing buying that other one at a decent price. The intake and exhaust manifolds can probly be repaired if need and reused as they are often broken or damaged. You could probly sell those on EBAY and get your money back on the whole thing. I wouldn't though. My 223 finally gave up and It was too costly in my opinion to rebuild it for what I could upgrade to a 292 for. This is usually the result and thus the old engines get junked. Machine work on this engine cost about the same as a V8 and results in less power after you are done. But still they make a fine little engine if you can keep them alive. Which is very possible. Fyi, I think the overflow tubes are the same as a 292-312 and are simple copper tubing that is bent to fit. And they are not that necessary actually as you can but a smaller orifice in there much like the process off a 292 and raise some oil pressure. Just sayin'.
Good luck and enjoy