Gov shut down

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Gov shut down

Post by shipwrecked »

Guys,
I’m still around. I had been thrust into the response for relief when the government shut down last month and the subsequent loss of paycheck mid month.

Lessons learned. A lot of people don’t have an emergency fund. (Mine is small),
A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck.
A lot of people don’t have the finances to hang tight more than two weeks. (I had 2 months)

I’m exhausted, we still taught our classes in the middle of this. I haven’t touched the side job or anything in my garage all month.

I lived like I only had 2,000 to survive for the month to include my mortgage, and did not do anything beside work.

Was miserable but tolerable.

I am gonna finish the side job best I can in the next two weeks and Be done with that, I am so ready to have my truck done.

No news on my transfer orders. The dream sheet went in,but I’m waiting.

I am lurking. I am doing beans and rice to pay off any debts I have (f150, trailer and floors). I will need to move most likely come June.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
oldsmiley
United States of America

Re: Gov shut down

Post by oldsmiley »

So proud of you for the way you've come through such a financial crisis. I came from a family of all boys and it was a slogan around my house when things got tight that "a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do"
You have definitely lived up to that in these past weeks of the Shut Down.

My wife worked at EPA for 39 years, and when a shut down came across the horizon, she was SO HAPPY to get some time off. Only because we tried to save as much as possible for the HARD TIMES when they hit, because you never know when they will. I know people who worked with her for a 6 figure income who lived like Kings & Queens all year. BUT, you let a shut down come, and they were crying the blues that "if I don't get my check I can't pay my car payment" or "I won't be able to pay my house payment".

Sometimes I hear the phase "he's a little bit country" which is usually interpreted to mean he's DUMB as DIRT, but like you, I can eat when others are starving. We had a financial advisor come to our church one time to try and help the members put there money to good use so not to suffer in a crisis. He asked me several questions about my finances and after answering all his questions, he simply said Sir, I'm sorry but I won't be able to help you. That sounded kind of scary to me until he smiled and said, you're already doing all the right things. I did only what my dad had taught me to do. Yep his 3 day education scored VERY high in my life. He couldn't read or write, but he learned a lot when he came through the Depression, and lived life 1st hand.

My last $25 has gone a long way many times, when I buy 3 gallons of milk, several dozens of eggs, a few large large size containers of oatmeal, and some bread. We won't eating high on the hog, but we ate.

A little bit of money, some common sense, and a humbling of the heart, can get you through most situations..... April, you keep doing what a woman's gotta do. You'll be ok.

Really Proud of you.
Casey 65
United States of America

Re: Gov shut down

Post by Casey 65 »

Hang in there, and embrace the suck! Uncle Sugar has taught you how to survive! Reading your posts and what you have done in the Coast Guard make me very proud to know you! Good luck with the transfer orders!
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun