It's Bedtime

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

loosrp

Post by loosrp »

Really nice! LMK how the P/S goes..
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

Thats beyond NICE! Congrats on such fine work... Not so often someone takes that kind of time to do the job right the first time. I noticed on another forum someone making fun of the time spent on your box but the end result is incredible. (you should see the slop work of the poster)he even went as far as posting pics of your work.

Did you use the 2008 Super Duty bed floor? I would like to see some more pics of how that unfolded along with what you did about the crossmembers on the floor. Keep up the good work! r

edit add. I just noticed the first post. Missed that, I will go back to read the whole thing as thought I had. My floor is not installed yet but lookiing forward to putting it in. Glad it worked out for you. At 300.00 for the floor its a great deal. Randy
BackyardRest

Post by BackyardRest »

here is part number if someone needs

64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Randy
Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot coming from you, with the exceptional effort you're putting in on your truck. The only caution I can give on the bed floor, the spot welds were a major PITA. I was using a 5/16 spot weld bit, by the time I was through the weld a dimple had come up on top of the floor. Touch it with a grinder and you have a very small hole, which I needed to weld up and grind from the bottom. I was impatient and did quite a bit of damage getting them off, thus creating significant extra work to make the new panel look good again.

However, considering I took too much time, causing somebody to flame me on another forum...not this one, which I read and post to...maybe I should have hacked the crap out of it and left the damage alone! LMAO

Otherwise, it worked out great and I'm happy with the outcome. Thank you again for doing the research and sharing your findings with everybody on here!
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

The finished product looks great. I sure wish my bed were done. Since you're done with yours, you want another project??? lol
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

You got that bed looking like a NOS. Like others have said, the round filler door looks good.

Oh yeah, what is the "idiot stick" you mentioned for sanding your bed? Air sander, long board, something else?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
tschmitt

Post by tschmitt »

Wow that turned out great, you did great work as always. The extra effort paid off big time. One of the best looking slicks ive seen. :rocker:
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Idiot stick is an elbow-operated file board.
Lee's 64

Post by Lee's 64 »

Hey low! Great job on your truck by the way. I've been gone for some time, computer down,spring break......but i'm back. Ok now its time to pick your brain. I picked up my gas tank the other day and have some ?'s.Did you move some of your factory braces? I'm also concerned about how low the tank sits. It looks like it hangs down below the rearend pumpkin from your pics! Is there any way to get it up alittle? Any more info. on this mod. I would really appreciate. And I want to know more about the headlight relay mod. Thanks for your time. LEE
IF YOU DROVE A FORD......YOU WOULDN'T NEED A GOODWRENCH!!!!!!!!!!

1964 Ford CustomCab Shortbed
1952 Ford 8N Tractor
2012 Ford F250 CrewCab
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

damn thats smooth looking.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Santi

Post by Santi »

Looks Great!! Wanna take a trip to the Southwest and do mine too :cheers:

Sweeeeeeeeeet job man!
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Santi - Love to take a trip....work?...not so much!

Lee - The only change that affects tank mounting is the frame crossmember that the shocks mount to. The lowering kit I bought had it's own and I can't remember if it moved fwd or back. I used the new member to mount the tank straps. Yes the bottom of the tank is even with or slightly lower than the diff. It is little concern for me because of the stance. I've loaded the truck onto both a trailer and a frame machine with no clearance issues.
Hope this helps. BTW - welcome back!
low6t4

Post by low6t4 »

Damn what a nice job.... That truck is looking great man. Very nice work indeed.
"Go Fast or Go Home"
mikewirth

Post by mikewirth »

Nice Job, I was wondering about your rearend set up, was this a kit or did you fab the sackle mounts. Also have you filled the tank up and noticed any difference in clearance problems. not to pester but can the tank be mounted higher up in the chassis. Thanks!
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Mike,
The rear suspension is a kit from TCI (Total Cost Involved). It comes with springs, shackles and hardware. Pretty straightforward install. As for raising the tank, it could probably go up an inch if you move the rear crossmember back. If it is a big concern for you, the Mustang tank might be a better option. It is much shallower.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Wow, the bed of your truck really looks great. The bed in my truck was not rusted but it still had a lot of dings in it from years of people tossing things in the back. I wish I had replaced it after seeing yours.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Thx, Michelle. I'm watching your build with excitement. Your Ranger is an amazing truck and I'm sure you'll give it the resto it deserves! I would not suggest replacing that floor unless absolutely necessary. Fixing 200 dents would still be easier!

Mike - 1 more reply comment, the suspension is firm enough that it doesn't drop with a full tank. I was riding around with my wife a couple weekends ago and we stopped and got horse feed with it. Anything I drive needs to be able to haul 500-600 lbs......including my company car (2010 Mercury Milan 4 cyl.)!!!!
bluebolt

8 ft bed part number

Post by bluebolt »

For those of you wanting to do something similar with an 8 ft bed the part number for that is 8C3Z-9911215-A List price for the 6 1/2 panel is $503.20 for the 8 ft panel $684.02. A little talking to your parts department may get you a discount, I found them about $100 cheaper elsewhere.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Bump to bring to the top for a great post.
Tom Williams
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: It's Bedtime

Post by SteveCanup »

Subscribed!
1964 F-100