Hey all!!

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jwh f-100
United States of America

Hey all!!

Post by jwh f-100 »

Hey Slicksters! Hope all is well!

Whats a good chassis swap for a fridge?? Not looking for performance, just dependability..
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
04sd
United States of America

Re: Hey all!!

Post by 04sd »

What is your end goal? Stock appearance, low rider, 4x4, etc.
What is your skill level? I don't think you are going to find anything that doesn't require quite a bit of fabrication, modification, and engineering.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Id be interested in a stock look
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

These are my thoughts...
If you want stock ride height you are probably stuck using a newer F100/F150 chassis.
Late 70's gets you twin I Beam, power steering and disc brackes.
A 2002+ Explorer will get you AWD, a 4.6, 4 wheel discs and 4 wheel independent susp., but lower ride height.
The newer you go more work involved especially if you are using the modern engine and trans that comes with it.
A lot of guys stick with the original frame but add a car front suspension, and anywhere from stock to 3 or 4 link rear suspension. This seems very popular, guys like low riders and a carlike ride I guess.
Not sure of the axle width of a Fridge since I haven't owned one for almost 40 years, but assuming the width of a twin I beam truck is OK I'd look for a late 70's F100/150. This will give you a truck when your done, look mostly factory, and you're pre electronics. Cut the frame to match up the wheelbase. You can get factory motor mounts to bolt in anything from a 302 to a 460. Moves you up two decades in technology but still an old truck.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html