61 od trans

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

62bigwindow
United States of America

61 od trans

Post by 62bigwindow »

How do you identify a OD transmission for a straight axle truck? There is a local guy with a ton of Ford and Borg Warner OD transmissions. I'd like to get one to put behind the 223 in my Unibody.
Every day above ground is a good one
62bigwindow
United States of America

Re: 61 od trans

Post by 62bigwindow »

Anyone?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

So are we talking about a original style 3speed OD, or a modern transplant?
I'm assuming original...

Here's the electronic engaged with a solenoid.

And here is a other pict

As for what model vehicle, all the big manufacturers offered an od. Ford, Studebaker, Packard, GM, Chrysler.
On several different transmission's, that could be adapted to our trucks, the common indicator is the large tail housing with a way of activation of the OD, either electrical or cable operated. There is the more modern RUG trans discussed in a recent thread. Looks like the top loader 4 speed ,but is actually a 3 speed OD.

And as for " looking for" are we talking about the in car indicators? OD cable near the column... Or the electrical switch that can be any where on the dash depending on manufacturer.
Or the perverbial semi trailer full of transmissions, look for the solinoid, and fat tailhousing. You probably will not find more than one or two choices at a time. Get pictures, especially of the trans tags and look them up, online, before purchasing... Then make your choice.

The question is what your are putting in front of it?
A high HP motor or heavy load towing, kiss most of your possible choices good bye in short order.... Many came behind low HP 6's in smaller cars...

And then there are modern choices that can Survive some HP, just have some $$$ to spend?

(Images stolen from a thread on the FTE) I am no expert on the original 303 OD trans that would be normally be in a slick, but I wouldn't limit my search to an original trans)...
I would consider an OD three speed to be like a Big Back Window, a rarely purchased option! There are more options...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Thanks.I'm looking how to specifically identify a 61-64 Ford truck 3 speed OD. It's going behind a 223 so the lighter T86 would be fine. I'm familiar with the T86 OD and T85 OD transmissions. I have one of each for car applications. My understanding is the truck trans have different input shaft length. Does anyone have a measurement on it? Are there any truck specific part numbers on the case or tail shaft housing?
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8431 ... ility.html
This may help but as I went looked thru it .... Maybe not.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Thanks again. Unfortunately he didnt have one. All of his are passenger car trans.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

bottom pic is the ones that I have seen from the 65-71 era trucks which is a Warner Transmission, 57-64 used a different trans mission BUT Remember when going from regular 3 speed to a O/D, Driveshaft will be needed and be sure all Electrical components are purchased as well,, In past cannot count the times in the 70' when I building transmissions on the side I was replacing O/D transmissions with regular transmissions due to the fact that O/D was NOT MEANT for trucks back then since cluster gears/main gears where not heavy enough. if your truck is 3.70 gear drop it to 3.25 if it has a Ford 9"
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo