Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Man, all that hand digging is making my back hurt. Doors and truck looking good. I replaced the weatherstripping on my 63 doors, went well, but i have not dived into the whole window, weatherstripping replacement (yet)
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

JeffinMooresville wrote:Man, all that hand digging is making my back hurt. Doors and truck looking good. I replaced the weatherstripping on my 63 doors, went well, but i have not dived into the whole window, weatherstripping replacement (yet)
Thanks, Jeff. Yes the digging is getting me in good shape...lol....when I'm not eating Ibuprophen and sitting against a heat-pad, lol. I'm wanting to work on the truck, but I also want to get the garage done...so the garage is taking precedence right now. I've been watching your build thread and your truck is looking great!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Poor man's knee wall...I had a ton of soffit stored away, so....
Along the back wall...

Side wall...
And then...
I had a bunch of white siding donated to me...so...I am using that to cover the ceiling....recycling at its finest! And it's easier to install than sheetrock.

Stay tuned....I might get back to truck stuff soon....
1964 F-100
Macon ACE
United States of America

Post by Macon ACE »

Nice!
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Not much going on lately...life intervenes...still planning on some work on the truck before Spring. Managed to install some more of the ceiling in the garage yesterday. Raining...raining...raining....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Rented "Ford Verses Ferrari" ...it was great!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Well...no pics for today (forgot to take the camera out with me), but I gutted my drivers side door. Removed everything inside and outside and began the tedious job of sanding. The truck had been painted at some point in the past by, what I would assume was a body shop. Their solution for mirror holes was to 'dent' the hole in about an 1/8" or so and coat with bondo. So I removed the door from the truck and started removing paint and bondo from about 5-6 mirror holes and welded them up. I also addressed a 3"x3"area where there was a rust hole at the front bottom outer side of the door. I cut out the rot, cleaned thoroughly behind it and will apply some rust encapsolator. I probably will apply rust encapsulator all along the inside bottom of the door. I still have some welding left to do on the 'patch' and some grinding. I will have to skim the door with some bondo and block it out to get a really straight looking door.

I probably will not get back to it untill later this week...I don't like to have my truck un-drivable for any length of time...

I also had the Pertronix 1281 unit in my distributor for a number of years. The truck started and ran great with it. Somehow the unit got shorted out...I'm thinking that the red wire got accidently pulled and caused it to short out. Anyway, I ordered another unit last night...anticipating its arrival.

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Some pics of the progress on the door...

I made the 'rookie' mistake of not getting all of the rotted metal at the corner. I will have to go back and cut out some more metal to get all of the rust and rot. Lots more to do to get this door paint worthy...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Cold and snowing today. I didn't get much done, except for installing the pertronix unit in my distributor. Whoever it was at Ford that thought of putting the distributor on the rear of the intake manifold was a dummy. I had to 'get inside' of the engine compartment to get at the distributor....and those tiny screws that hold the points down....lets just say that it took a little while to accomplish. But the engine fired off nicely after the install. Now to finish the door....

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

More sanding...I want to get this door right...whew!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Finished sanding and one coat of high-build primer sprayed. I will let that dry for a day or two, sand and reapply another coat.

Stay tuned...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Sanded....second coat of high-build...same as the first....I will sand that down tomorrow and spray some color on the door.

On another note....it was 63 degrees here in Southwest Virginia today. Perfect to get the house painted. I managed to get 3 sides finished and 2 of the roof dormers also. Rain tomorrow, but warm. I'll work in the garage some....on the door....I hope.

Stay tuned.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Sanded and painted. Looks like....well, I can't say that. But I don't like the finished product. I am going to sand it down and start over. The cheap Harbor Freight gun didn't have "one more" paint job in it. It didn't want to atomize the paint properly. I had it thinned down quite a bit...actually was worried about runs because it was so thin. But...anyway....that's life.

Stay tuned.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Because I needed the truck to haul some decking for my front porch...I buffed the door out and installed it on the truck. It doesn't look too bad...from a distance. (Think 3-D effect...distance, darkness and....never-mind.) I might get a pic or two of the truck...

On another note, I took the truck out for a drive and the Pertronix does make a difference in performance. Crisp acceleration. It ran much better.

Stay tuned....cruise-in season is just around the corner.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Some quick pics...
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

With the coronavirus stuff going on I thought that I might get some extra time to work on my truck. I need to adjust the valves, repair a small rust area on the roofline just above the passenger door, reshoot some paint on some areas...etc, etc. Well...house "stuff" has taken precedence right now...redecking my front porch, new porch posts, and so forth. I'm still driving and enjoying the truck...

Stay tuned....

Hopefully....more to come....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Been awhile since my last post. This Covid-19 virus is making everything wacky....thought I would post a few pics of the truck...

Not much other to report...other than "wash yer hands" ....lol....

Stay tuned....CRUISE IN Season is about to get here....we hope....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I'm installing a C-notch in the frame today. No pics yet. Removed the bed and I'm planning on doing quite a bit of work on it.

I'm a nervous Nelly grinding and welding right next to the gas tank...it's about 1/2 full of gas right now. I have it covered with a heavy tarp and I'm trying not to throw to much sparks around. It still makes me verry verry nervous....

Stay tuned.....more to come....if I don't blow myself up!
1964 F-100
grump

Post by grump »

Steve, if you have to cut and weld that close to the gas tank fill it up and eliminate the fumes as much as possible.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

grump wrote:Steve, if you have to cut and weld that close to the gas tank fill it up and eliminate the fumes as much as possible.
Grump....thanks for the tip! I haven't thought of that....
1964 F-100