1962 bench seat foam

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

624WD

1962 bench seat foam

Post by 624WD »

Looking for recommendations on how to best replicate the foam for the bottom bench seat. Or links to people who have done this. Or, if you have restored this bench seat - how did you do it? 1962 standard cab 4WD. Thank you. Tom
Zax63
United States of America

Re: 1962 bench seat foam

Post by Zax63 »

Do you still have the original foam to use as a template?

I did mine myself last month. Mine is a Custom Cab so it was a little more involved. But order some nice foam. I recommend using some vinyl instead of the factory burlap to line the seat frame. Buy a cheap electric turkey carver knife to cut the foam. Use the old foam as a rough template. Cut it slightly oversized. Use a 36 grit sanding disk to shape the foam. Just keep shaping and taking a little off and test fitting the cover until you get it right. I glued a thin sheet of fiber fill over the foam once I had it the shape I wanted to isolate the foam from the cover. I used a Cartouche cover from Mac's.

Tons of videos on this on YouTube. Most bench seats are built very similar so watch a couple videos and get a plan down. It's not too big of a job. Stretching and hog ringing the cover will require a helper or two.

Ordered online from Foam Factory:
1" HD36-R Foam - half sheet 82x36 (for seat back)
5" LUX-HQ Foam - Third sheet 82x24 (for seat bottom Custom Cab)
Medium Dacron - 1" Thick x 60" Wide (fiber fill to go between foam and seat cover

Bought some marked down yards of vinyl from the craft store to line the springs

Keep in mind the Custom Cab bench uses a much thicker bottom foam than a Standard Cab so the "5 foam will need to be the correct thickness for the Standard Cab
'63 F100 Wrongbed
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

https://youtu.be/EdG0LSmEsXc

I did this for my truck. My youtube channel.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
624WD

Post by 624WD »

Thank you for posting the link and advice. Appreciate it.