Ford 223 PCV Conversion

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Ford 223 PCV Conversion

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

What is the best way to convert a 223 from road draft tube to PCV setup? Install a PCV valve into the rear of the valve cover to intake vacuum? Or rig something up from where the road draft tube is with a PCV valve to intake vacuum?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Ford 223 PCV Conversion

Post by mercuryv8 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:What is the best way to convert a 223 from road draft tube to PCV setup? Install a PCV valve into the rear of the valve cover to intake vacuum? Or rig something up from where the road draft tube is with a PCV valve to intake vacuum?
Since there hasn't been a reply I will through my limited experience in.

Similar but different. I added a PCV valve to the valve cover of a 302. There was no system in place because it was a EFI block converted to run a carburetor. Using the valve cover worked well and I would imagine it would also work well on the 223. I had to add a vented oil fill cap on that motor but you won't have that problem on the 223. I would run it like that without modifying the road draft setup at all and see how you like the operation. I'm assuming you don't like the mess?

Nic
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks for the input Nic. I don't mind the oil drips, it's more the fumes when I'm stopped for long periods. It gets a tad fumey for my liking.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

The best way to upgrade is get all the ford parts to do so

There are a lot of folks replacing 223's in favor of larger engines. If you do not have a auto dismantler near you, and nobody steps up here, try vintage ford sixes.
I am not sure but believe the factory PCV just bolts into the spot the road draft tube was, and bolts to the intake flange for support. The valve itself should still be available but if not the original unscrews in order to wash it out. Go into the intake directly through one of the access points.
PM me if you need pics or have a hard time finding the original valve.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks Unibody madness, I’ll check out fordsixes. Ideally I’d like to find the Ford setup. Most of the 223’s I can find around here don’t have the PCV setup and the sellers usually want more than what I’d like to pay for a 223 in shoddy condition lol.
I have been able to locate the valve and even the NOS tube that goes from the block to the valve. Just not the “plug” that goes in place of the draft tube and connects to the metal PCV tube (hope that makes sense)
After looking at the shop manual if all else fails I think I could fab something up using the top part of the road draft tube to connect the PCV valve tube.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Well you are in the right place to look for it... try posting in parts wanted.
Meanwhile do not block off the vent opening. if the block can't breath it will find a way. My son once took my truck in for a service and tune up and for some reason the clown mechanic plugged the pcv line and the engine began puking oil from every gasket on the bottom end
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

No plans to block off the tube. I’m leaving it as is until I can find or rig up a PCV set up. I did find a hole in my muffler which is close to the cab. Probably the biggest culprit of in cab fumes.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL