'63 Steering Column

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

'63 Steering Column

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

In attempting to rebuild my '63 column I've had trouble tracking down parts. More specifically whatever is in the bottom of the steering column. The diagrams I've found were for '61-'62 and while giving me a general idea of the setup were not specific to '63. So I found a '63 steering column on ebay and tore it down. I took some pics and figured I'd throw them up on here in case it helps anyone in the future.

Bottom of the column. Lower most part is steering column lower flange (C3DZ-3B564-A/C6OZ-3B564-A). These are reproduced and used in different Ford vehicles of the era (thanks again for the tip Nightmare). There was two rubber peices behind it in the column. I can find zero info on them. TThey seem to fit at the bottom of the shift tube. Does anyone on here know what they are or have a part number for them?

Pieces lined up with the shift tube...

When I removed the shift collar there was a curved washer behind it...

a picture of all the lower column pieces lined up in their relative positions....

Info on the upper column pieces was pretty easy to find. If anyone could help me out with the 2 rubber pieces behind the lower column flange it would be much appreciated.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Re: '63 Steering Column

Post by My wife's nightmare »

I am no help in identifying the two small rubber pieces. There was not much left in the end of my column except the shift levers and I have since cut mine off to adapt to a rack and pinion. Guessing they are something to prevent rattles :?:
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I've built a lot of columns, and some have that wavy washer while others were missing there's. I can't see any difference in the way they shift with or without it. If it was my column I would get a new shift collar though. I assume you already have, with the exposed wear on that old one. They are all foreign made now, and some fit tight to the turn signal flange plate. If it does fit tight, I'd get a course sand paper and sand until it turned easily on one another.

Other than that just grease ever thing thoroughly, put it back together and enjoy your ride.

RICK
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

My wife's nightmare wrote:I am no help in identifying the two small rubber pieces. There was not much left in the end of my column except the shift levers and I have since cut mine off to adapt to a rack and pinion. Guessing they are something to prevent rattles :?:
My column didn't even have the lower flange. Now with it on everything is tight. No idea what those two pieces are for. Can't even find a diagram with them there. For all I know the PO of this column added them himself? I sure wish I had a '65 up column setup.
oldsmiley wrote:I've built a lot of columns, and some have that wavy washer while others were missing there's. I can't see any difference in the way they shift with or without it. If it was my column I would get a new shift collar though. I assume you already have, with the exposed wear on that old one. They are all foreign made now, and some fit tight to the turn signal flange plate. If it does fit tight, I'd get a course sand paper and sand until it turned easily on one another.

Other than that just grease ever thing thoroughly, put it back together and enjoy your ride.

RICK
My original column didn't have that wavy washer. I don't really see what difference it would make. I do need to order a new shift collar. My collar's pin was oversized and the metal is starting to crack. The column I bought had been drilled out and the pin hole is way too big. Everything is greased up real good. Truck drives nice and shifts are tight now.

Thanks for the input guys.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

The bigger piece can be bought online. I have one from a Thunderbird i think and its buried somewhere in my build thread the part number and where I purchased it. My 63 column didn't have any other rubber pieces that I recall.
My YouTube has a video I posted for fixing my colum a few months back. Search coastiereid on youtube.
I'd post a link for you but I'm in a mexico port getting fuel and food for the ship and not enough bandwidth or time to do the search.

Good luck
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Found it.

Dennis carpenter's
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

April,
Did your column have those two smaller rubber pieces I found in my "new" 62 column?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

No. I dont recall seeing them ever.

I had a breakdown drawing of the colum too somewhere in my build thread I thought. I dotn recall it ever showing them either.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks April I’ll do some perusing of your build and see if I can find it.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL