Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by SteveCanup »

Raining for days now...I'm trading my truck for a boat.....NOT! But I am installing some new KYB Gas shocks on the front. This should take care of some issues that have developed over the past many months....vibration, bottoming out, etc.

Everyone stay safe......and dry.....Cruise-in's are starting to happen around here....

Stay tuned!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

New shocks on the front. And "Happy Birthday" to me....new trim rings!

I've been researching air conditioning for my truck...I'll have to sell an organ, lol.

More to come....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I have a set of used tires on the rear...they are 265/70-15. I am shopping for new tires and considering going to 275/60-15. From the tire comparison chart the 275's would be almost 1/2" wider than the 265's. I think that they would fit in the wheel wells. The tire shop had difficulty getting the 265's installed....they had to jack the truck way up in the air to get the axle to drop down far enough to get the tire in there. The 275 is 2/3 of an inch shorter than the 265. I have read on here and on the Facebook threads where guys have run the larger size tire with no problems....so, I will probably go with the 275's. I have always liked the look of a full wheel well...Anyone have any feedback on this?
1964 F-100
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

These are LT235/85R16 whatever that means on my 250 w/16” wheels

04sd
United States of America

Post by 04sd »

The extra width will make them even harder to get on. You may have to jack the axle down to get them on.
Bill
1966 F100 Camper Special, now a short bed 4x4.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1644 ... build.html
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

ive got 2756015s on stock ford 7 1/5 wide wheels.mine go on and off pretty easy.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

ratrapp wrote:ive got 2756015s on stock ford 7 1/5 wide wheels.mine go on and off pretty easy.
That's what I am thinking with mine. I ordered a pair of 275/60-15's for the rear and they will be here Thursday. I have a neighbor that works at a local garage who is going to mount them for me. I am not anticipating any issues....

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Still waiting for tires to arrive...maybe tomorrow or Friday...
1964 F-100
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

probably because of the coronavirus.everything ive ordered the past couple months has been delayed because of it.i usually dealt with 5 different tire distributors at my shop and ive had two that left my area all together and one that only comes a couple days a week.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

ratrapp wrote:probably because of the coronavirus.everything ive ordered the past couple months has been delayed because of it.i usually dealt with 5 different tire distributors at my shop and ive had two that left my area all together and one that only comes a couple days a week.
Yep...it was guaranteed delivery by today, Thursday, July 16th....now it will be Tuesday of next week. Oh well...I'm not driving the truck that much anyway, so I can wait...
1964 F-100
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Yep...it was guaranteed delivery by today, Thursday, July 16th....now it will be Tuesday of next week. Oh well...I'm not driving the truck that much anyway, so I can wait...
Yep, I'm running into the same thing Steve. Had some wheel tubs shipped on the 14th, was going to be delivered on the 17th. (only coming from 115 miles away & should have been here the next day). Waited all day Friday only to find out at 4:35 PM that the delivery date was changed to Monday the 20th.

Even some companies that I used to order from one day, and have the items the next, NOW you can order on Monday and you MAY get it 10-13 days later....... but I'm not going anywhere.
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Those trim rings look so good! My daddy always ran little caps and trim rings on his 65. Seems like every swap meet we went to he would by a set of one or the other. I wonder what happened to all of those now that I think about it :roll:
That look is hard to beat in my opinion on a Slick. You are keeping me motivated my man!
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

My wife's nightmare wrote:Those trim rings look so good! My daddy always ran little caps and trim rings on his 65. Seems like every swap meet we went to he would by a set of one or the other. I wonder what happened to all of those now that I think about it :roll:
That look is hard to beat in my opinion on a Slick. You are keeping me motivated my man!
Thanks! I'm trying to stay motivated too....waiting on some new tires for the rear.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

New tires installed...275/60-15's. They fit perfectly...just what I wanted. In going from 70 series to 60 series tires it seemed to lower the rear just a little. I love it!
I am thinking about going from 235/70-15 on the front to 245/60-15. A little wider and a little lower....we will see...

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

I like the drop to Steve. You got me by about 2 1/2" front & back :D . You seem to have found it!

Seems like ALL vehicles have that imaginary line where they look GREAT, but if you go 1/2" past that line (whatever it may be) it will look like Fido's BUTT.

Yep you found it.......cool.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

oldsmiley wrote:I like the drop to Steve. You got me by about 2 1/2" front & back :D . You seem to have found it!

Seems like ALL vehicles have that imaginary line where they look GREAT, but if you go 1/2" past that line (whatever it may be) it will look like Fido's BUTT.

Yep you found it.......cool.
Thanks! It's been a journey...lol. But I agree, I finally got it about perfect. Still considering 245/60's for the front. The two tires on the front are 235/70's with a lot of thread still left. I'll drive it for awhile and consider what is next...
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Post by My wife's nightmare »

Glad you finally got your tires! They fill up the rear very well and the stance is right on. Good work. Hoping mine will have that nice of a stance
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

i'm running the same tire size combo you have.i wish mine sat alittle lower like yours does.ive only lowered mine an inch or so in the back with longer shackles and used the explorer springs in the front.a 225 70 15 might be another option for a front tire size as well.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I had adjusted the valves a few months ago and thought that I could get by with reusing the gaskets. Not! They have been seeping oil down the side of the engine since. It's a mess under there! I will be close to Dennis Carpenters next week so I'll go by and pick up a set of Gaskets. Anyway, I've been wanting to go there and just check them out. Too bad I can't be in the truck, lol. The local auto parts place can't get gaskets for my 292 till next Wednesday and they would be $25.99...Dennis Carpenters are $12.99. Not to hard to decide...and either way I am waiting till mid-week to get them.
While I had the valve covers off, they needed repainting. I didn't have any black...so RED it is....and I set one on to see how it would look...

With the Jaguar IFS you can add spacers under the plate that holds the coil spring in place to get additional lowering. A 1/2" spacer will yield about 1" of lowering, so I am considering doing such. I might also tweak the camber just a little...the tires seem to be angled inward to much at the top for me and there is a very small amount of wear showing on the inner edge of my front tires.

Anyway....stay tuned....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

On another note: Yesterday, Monday July 27th, was my birthday. I was born on my grandfather's birthday and yesterday my oldest daughter gave birth to a baby boy...on my birthday. What are the chances of that? It was the best birthday gift that she could give me!
1964 F-100