Speedometer Frustration

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Speedometer Frustration

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

My problem is an inaccurate speedometer and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it right! :cussing:

My tale of speedometer woe...
When I got the truck the speedometer was off, read 5-10 off consistently. First things first, I calculated what drive/driven gear I'd need for my rearend/tire combo. Pulled the speedometer cable and tail shaft housing from the trans. The driven gear in the tail shaft was eaten up pretty bad. "Great!" I thought, this will fix it. Nope! Speedo worked well up till about 30mph then read 5-10 low.
Next up I thought maybe the cable was binding? Lubed it up with graphite and tried different ways of routing it to no avail. "Well, maybe the cable is just old and worn out?" I thought. Picked up a new cable, but still I was without an accurate reading.
Finally I figured maybe the speedo head must be bad. The one in the truck was original. When I removed it and spun it by hand it made a faint metallic clinking noise in one spot, and the whole apparatus had play in it. "This must be it!" I thought. Ordered a speedo in good working order (per the seller) and when it arrived I cleaned it up and looked it over. It was clean, tight, and worked well with the old drill test. Installed and still no accuracy! :boohoo:

After all of that the truck would read accurate up to about 25-30 and then I would get bouncy speedometer and it would read low (going 45 speedo would say 35-40) I rerouted the cable again tonight and now the speedo is reading high!

I'm certain at this point this surely must be a speedometer cable issue? I don't have any sharp bends in the cable and its held loosely in place by zip ties. What am I missing????? Should it be held in place more securely? Is there a cable routing trick I don't know? Were bouncy speedos the norm in the 60's?? Do I need to pony up for a speedo head rebuild? Any help, pictures, or advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm at a loss of what to do :dontknow:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Speedometer Frustration

Post by slick4x4 »

The drive gear in the transmission can slip if not tight
Pull the cable off & screw out the drive
see if you can take a screwdriver & make the gear slip
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

X2 on the gear slipping on the output shaft. It should have a check ball or a metal clip to lock the gear in position.
Chris
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks for the replies. I checked on the gear, has a little bit of wiggle but does not slip. I remember the ball when I installed that gear.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Well, now my odometer has stopped working :hm:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Unscrew the cable from the speedometer ...
jack up the back wheels & block good ...
Get in , start it up and make the wheels spin ...
Hold the cable so you can see the drive ...
If the cable drive is turning smoothly , the fault is in the speedometer
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

You don't want to know what I spent fixing my jumping speedo needle. I knew I needed a new cable, as mine was too short. I have a toploader from a car, so the cable was an issue when I got the truck years ago, but I just got tired of the jumping needle. I took it to a speedo shop in Milwaukee, and he set me up with a 90 degree adapter, so the cable would have proper clearance to the frame and exhaust. With that, they also checked the speedometer head itself, and it needed rebuilding, to the tune of like $150 (I know, I know... hindsight, right?). So, second trip back, to have the rebuilt speedo head/new cable/adapter installed, they guy tells me he just sold the last correct cable/trans gear to a guy with a truck just like mine, the week before.... At least it went to a Slick owner. He put a gear in that was close, and overstated my speed, so I'd be on the safe side if I behaved. This spring, I purchased and installed the correct gear. It's so awesome... I wish I did it years ago.

Just thought I'd add some content to our site, since it's been a little dead these days....
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Slick 4x4 - thanks! Sometimes the solution is right in front of your face :lol: I gave that a try and the cable was spinning smooth. Guess I’ll look for another speedo.

Jerry D - well at least it worked out in the end. I’m about ready to shell out for a rebuild myself!
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

ThinLizzy13 wrote:Slick 4x4 - thanks! Sometimes the solution is right in front of your face :lol: I gave that a try and the cable was spinning smooth. Guess I’ll look for another speedo.

Well.... even a clock that don't run is correct twice a day :woohoo: